Nine

"Peypey!The nanny's here," I heard Avery call from down the hall. I slid on my sneakers and started to head down the stairs. I caught a glimpse of Avery in the corner of my eye, only to turn around and see her pouting while holding Mr. Rainbow in one hand and a cookie in the other. I didn't even have the chance to ask her what was wrong before she blurted out,

"I want to stay home with you."

I felt a tug in my heart. It wasn't easy having a sister with such a large age gap between us. I had my own life to live and between my social life and work I didn't spend too much time with her. Yes, she could be annoying most of the time, but she's still my sister after all. Not to mention she's the best Wright in the house.

I went to her and knelt down to give her a hug. "It's okay. After work we can go get ice cream. How's that sound?"

Her pout was replaced with a wide smile. Her blue-green eyes lit up. "Ice cream!"

I ruffled her blonde hair before hearing the doorbell ring again. "I better go answer that before the nanny leaves and mom gets pissed at me.

Avery gasped in such a dramatic way you'd think she was auditioning for a fucking Broadway musical. "Mommy said that you shouldn't say bad words."

I rolled my eyes. "And mommy also says that you should eat your vegetables at dinner."

Avery crossed her arms and looked at me in defeat knowing that there was nothing she could comeback with.

I grinned internally before jogging down the stairs and opening the door. Only instead of the nanny, Noah was standing in front of me. She was in a fitted sweater and still wore the same beanie as always. The mere thought of wondering what her closet looked like horrified me.

"What are you doing here?" I ask bluntly. After finding out that she had been lying to me yesterday, I thought I could take the weekend to calm down before seeing her again. I didn't like the thought of being lied to, especially when I needed this so I could graduate.

Why would she even lie? Was she avoiding me again? The first time, I could understand a little. I humiliated her in front of countless people. I humiliated her. I tried to ignore that same unfamiliar feeling in the pit of my stomach that arose with that thought.

I may be mean and bitchy, but I wasn't sadistic and I certainly didn't like torturing  people constantly. Especially when I needed them to graduate.

"I thought that you could tutor me today since I have been so busy lately." She twiddled with her fingers and stared at the ground.

Well, what do you know? The Hobbit wants to study now. It's a miracle! But I really couldn't care less at the moment.

"Look, I'm busy. I'll be gone for a while."

Then I took a minute to actually notice her brown eyes. I felt like I could lost in their deep color. I focused on them intently until she started to stare at the ground again.

"Maybe later, then?" She asked, her voice a mere whisper now.

I thought about saying no. I thought about being a bitch to her because she lied to me, but I couldn't. I couldn't bring myself to get worked up right now. Maybe I didn't have the energy to, or maybe I just didn't want her to be afraid of me again. To avoid me again.

"I forgive you."

I stood there in silence and thought carefully about what I should do next. I saw her fiddling with her fingers, probably anxious as to what I was going to say. I really didn't want to scare her off, but I couldn't pass up her finally allowing me to tutor her.