One

The music was muffled by Jace closing my bedroom door. Our lips were immediately on each other's. It was a rough kiss, one filled with longing. Well, longing for me; I hadn't kissed anyone since my trip to Cabo this past summer. I was seriously suffering.

I also hadn't thrown a party in months, and my parents were away for a week for their anniversary. My number one rule: Always spot your chance and take it. This was my opportunity to get closer to Jace.

Okay, okay, maybe throwing one of the biggest parties of the month just for a boy was overkill, but I really needed to win him over. My publicist thinks that dating the son of Ella Magazine's editor would definitely catch the attention of the press. My career would be a joke unless I did this.

My fingers ran through his ginger hair as he pushed me against the wall. His hands traveled until they reached my waist. He broke off the kiss and uttered words that made my heart palpitate.

"I love you, Peyton."

A smile that I didn't know I held faded inch by inch until I was staring at him, bewildered. Was he crazy?! I only knew him for a month! "What?"

"I know it sounds crazy but-"

I pushed him away from me to distance myself. "Nope. Let's just end that sentence right there." I can't believe this happened! Am I that amazing that guys can fall in love with me in a month? Is he just crazy?

Both. It was definitely both.

"Look, this," I motioned the two of us, "isn't going to work." To hell with trying to boost my career with him. He would probably stalk me so much that even the paparazzi would be concerned.

"Look, please give me a chance. I swear I..." his voice rambled on to try and get me to change my mind. I stopped listening after a while; my favorite song was playing outside my room. Primadonna was my favorite song to hear at a party.

"All I ever wanted was the worl-."

I furrowed my brows. Why does the world hate me today?

Meanwhile, Jace was still talking. "...but I promise that it will be worth your time. I mean if you wanted to. If you don't, that's okay. We could always be frien-"

"Shush!" He finally stopped talking. I should have done that sooner. "Do you hear that?"

"Hear what?" He asked, dumbfounded.

"Exactly! My favorite song was turned off!" I shrieked.

My door swung open with such force that I was afraid it would detach from the hinges.

In front of my doorway was Mom and Dad. They were furious, as usual. I seemed to always push their buttons.

"Peyton Marie Elizabeth Wright!" He was really, really mad at me this time. "What do you have to say for yourself?"

I stared him right in his eyes. "I'm really really...upset that I couldn't hear my favorite song all of the way through."

•••

It had been a few days since the party incident, and I was grounded. I scoffed thinking about it.

There isn't a such thing as being grounded when you're rich. Hell, I could go to the movie theater without leaving my house if I pleased. My parents are just running out of ways to enforce authority nowadays.

I trailed down the spiral stairs into the main kitchen. I grabbed an apple and sat at the island. "Morning, Mom," I said with a mouthful of apple.

"Don't talk with food in your mouth. It's unladylike." I rolled my eyes.

"That is also unladylike."