Two

A week had passed, yet Hobbit Girl refused to be tutored. Ever since that day, I wondered why she left.

Maybe it's because you laughed in her face and practically told her that she belonged at a landfill.

Oh, shut up Conscious. People don't get what they want just from being kind. Sometimes, it's better for people to hate you and respect you than for them to love you and walk over you.

I brushed my blonde trusses before walking into the kitchen. Mom was typing away on her phone.

Without looking up, she said, "Peyton, I need you to watch Avery after school today."

I rolled my eyes. Babysitting my four year-old sister was not what I wanted to worry about today. "Isn't that the nanny's job?"

My mom was still typing on her phone. "You're grounded, so you should be home anyway. Cook some dinner for her as well."

"Sure, whatever." I picked up my jacket and left.

With Ruby by my side, I made my way down the halls to my locker. I casually scanned wherever I went to see if I could find her.

I don't care about why she doesn't want to see me, but I plan on graduating on time. After I get my grade that I need, she'll never have to encounter me again. Unless she bumps into me like last week.

"So, my mom was totally trying to get me to buy the Armani one, but I was like 'no, no one wears that one anymore' you know?" Ruby rambled on.

"Ew. Armani is so not in right now. Have you seen the sales? Fendi is the only option."

"That's what I said!"

We talked about fashion brands while I leaned against my locker, hoping that I could find her. That's when I caught her in my peripheral vision. She was scanning the hall as well, probably trying to avoid me.

"Look, Ruby we'll talk later, 'kay?"

I used my long strides to walk straight towards her. She not-so-subtlety turned around and tried to retreat.

"Hey! Hobbit Girl." I folded my arms to seem more serious. I practically towered over her small figure with my 5'10" stature, plus the three inches that my booties added.

This time I noticed her brown eyes and brunette hair that was tangled. My instincts were telling me to brush out all of her tangles. It was bothering me.

She couldn't even muster a word and looked at the ground. I hated when people didn't make eye contact.

She probably only did that because she was nervous, but my second most important rule is to fake it 'till you make it. Don't show people that you're nervous, because they will take advantage of that.

If I wasn't supposed to tutor her, I probably would.

"Look, I am only tutoring you because I need this grade, and you're only being tutored to bring up your grades. Stop beating around the bush and let me help you."

Her head lifted as she made eye contact with me for a mere second. "Okay," she spoke as if she was speaking to the ground.

I then thought about having to watch my sister. Damn it!

"As your tutor, I get to choose where you're tutored, so we'll meet at my house this afternoon. I'll give you the address."She nodded her head quickly before turning away in a snap. "Don't even think about bailing!" I yelled.

When I turned, I saw many curious heads eyeing me. I glared at them. "What are you all looking at?" They all turned away.

•••