Brendon Urie: Dreamer Extraordinaire

Start from the beginning

Spencer looks him over, the usual check for burns, claw marks, fang marks, but he’s clean. ‘What’s got you in a bad mood?’ He asks and Ryan just shrugs. ‘Still the dream thing?’ He ventures and Ryan flinches confirming his suspicions.

Spencer pats his leg and they both watch TV in compatible silence.

- - -

Spencer picks up his usual morning paper as he walks past the stand on his way to the shop. William’s an easy going boss so he knows he still has a few moments before he absolutely has to be at work. He pauses, sits down on a nearby vacant bench and flicks the paper open, scanning through the pages.

- - -

Ryan hears the door crash open and Spencer scream ‘Ryan’ from where he is curled up in bed on his day off. He groans and pulls the pillow over his head.

The silence is only momentarily as soon his door is flung open, flooding light into his room. He feels something impact the pillow and the door close again. He waits a few moments until he knows for sure Spencer has headed off to work again before peeling his head out from under the pillow.

His hand grabs around until it feels something crisp under his fingertips. He sits up and pulls the object into his lap, raising an eyebrow.

It’s a newspaper. The front story is about some new cure for blindness so Ryan is sort of confused because, hello, he isn’t blind. And he’s pretty sure Spencer isn’t either otherwise he wouldn’t have been able to read the headline.

So he flips the paper over and he’s faced with the advertisements page where Spencer has circled a short chunk of text in red.

Brendon Urie: Dreamer Extraordinaire

He pauses.

- - -

Mind magic isn’t against the law but generally people avoid it. It’s dangerous and unpredictable and those who take part are usually outcasts of society. If Spencer suggested this, he must be pretty fucking serious.

- - -

Ring. Ring. Ring.

‘Hello?’

‘Spencer this is fucking stupid.’

‘Just do it Ross.’

Beep.

- - -

Ryan books an appointment for the next day, frowning through the entire phone conversation.

- - -

The place isn’t exactly what Ryan expected so he checks the address thrice before pressing the button with the correct number labelled next to it.

‘Hello?’

‘Uh. Hi. This is um, Ryan? I have an appointment…’

‘Oh yeah! Of course! Come right up!’

He cuts off and Ryan hears a buzz before the door in front of him swings open.

He climbs the stairs and hums softly to himself, taking in the drab interior of the apartment building and thinking that it doesn’t feel as magical as it maybe should. In fact, it feels like the least magical place he’s ever visited.

He finds the correct door, surprised when it’s already open, and enters hesitantly. He pauses in what appears to be the living room, taking in the brown/cream colour scheme contrasted against the brightly coloured furniture and the musical instruments strewn around.

‘Hey!’ A cheerful voice crows and Ryan swirls round to see a small dark haired guy stood in the doorway to what looks like the kitchen. ‘Just take a seat,’ he says gesturing to the bright red sofa, ‘I’ll be with you in a minute.’ The guy smiles and disappears back into the kitchen.