Chapter 22

Playlist: Ori by Brodashaggi.

Treat others the same way you want to be treated. You can't plant a corn and expect a tuber of yam to grow. Love is reciprocal- Oluchi.

He laughed humorlessly, "so I was just a dare to you right?" He said with pain written all over his face.

Oh no!

"Nonso I can explain." I said walking towards him. My feet was killing me but they were not my problem at this point.

"Then explain. Wait what do you want to explain self? It's obviously here. Were you ever going to tell me? I was just a little game to you." He showed me the screen of my phone where Jane and I's conversation showed.

"It was a dare at first but now it's more than that." I said, trying to hold him.

"Don't come closer." He growled. Nonso growled. He never did that to me. He dropped my phone on my bed and stormed out of my room.

I pulled my boots first so I can think well. I took my phone and saw a missed call from Jane. That was probably how he saw it together with her new message that said "tell him about it after the dance." I shook my head. I didn't know when I started crying. I could barely breathe.

"Lulu mummy-" Amara entered my room. When she saw my face, she came to sit beside me. "What happened?" She asked, placing my head on her chest.

"He found out." I said with my voice shaking.

"Oh no. How? This is not good at all. I'll talk to him don't worry. Hopefully he'll be able to see reasons with me." She said patting my back.

The night went by slowly, I couldn't sleep. I tried talking to Nonso again and he refused to talk to me. It was horrible. I finally slept around 2 in the morning. When my alarm rang, I became very grumpy.

After my hygiene, I took my neatly ironed uniform from my closet, wore my shoe, took my school bag and left my room. I bumped into a hard body. I looked up to see Nonso looking at me with a scowl on his face.

"Nonso I-" he walked away without looking back.

I stayed glued to the spot till I realized I was supposed to be having breakfast. I walked down the stairs in a haste. Nonso was seated with Amara already. I didn't even have the mind to look at his face. I sat down opposite them while Aunt Agnes brought our food, pancakes. On a normal day, I would have been super hyped but I just ate for eating sake while Nonso and Amara kept talking in whispers.

With the way he was sounding, he was getting angrier by the minute.

"So you knew about it too?" Nonso suddenly said out loud which caused me to raise my head. He was glaring hard at Amara who was visibly short of words. "Both of you are unbelievable. So you knew and you couldn't even tell me. You're terrible." He spat and  walked out of the dining room.

I turned to face Amara immediately he was out of sight.

"Why did you tell him you knew?" I asked her raising an eyebrow.

"It slipped now. Besides you're the one that's supposed to be feeling weird that he's mad at you, not me." She shrugged. I shook my head at her.

"I don't even know what to do. He doesn't want to talk to me."

"We'll figure something out." She said, reaching for my hand.

About 30 minutes later, we got to school and Nonso walked ahead of us which got us weird looks from most of the people around. Amara shrugged and went to the administrator's office. I held on to my bag like my life depended on it. I got to my class in due time and Nonso was seated with Zainab.