Chapter 17: Astrokinesis Lesson, part 2

Hello! I'm back with another chapter, part 2 of Astrokinesis Lesson! Thank you KatieMargaret3 for following me and thank you everyone for voting and commenting! Now, for the next chapter!

Chapter 17

Sophie blinked her eyes, trying to force the rainwater out of them. Her hair whipped back and forth in the wind.

"Where are we?!" She shouted, trying to be heard over the roaring wind.

"We're in a place called Venezuela, where the Catatumbo River meets Lake Maracaibo!" Lady Althea yelled back, shielding her eyes with one hand, "The humans call it the everlasting storm, there is about two hundred and sixty day of storms here a year!"

Sophie tried to shield her eyes from the wind, but the pelting rain soaked her to the bone in minutes. The tiny droplets stabbed at her like millions of tiny needles.

"And why are we here?!" Sophie screamed.

"Because I take all my students here, and this is the best place for you to practice!"

"What about all the humans?!"

"They won't notice! Your bolt will be lost among all the others!"

Indeed, there were lightning bolts. So many, that even though it was the middle of the night, the landscape was illuminated like daytime.

Sophie shreaked as a lightning bolt struck the ground two feet from where she was standing. She was blinded by the intense white light, but she could feel the vibrating static.

"What am I supposed to do?!" Sophie shouted.

"Anything! Follow your instincts! Do what feels right!" Lady Althea yelled back.

Sophie emptied her mind. She slowly collected all of the lightning bolts and static and gathered them into one giant, pulsing, glowing ball. Lady Althea stared, her eyes wide and hair blowing in the wind. Sophie struggled to control the ball of electricity. It fought against her, trying to free itself. She tensed, and the ball exploded. Everything went black.

~~~§~~~§~~~§~~~§~~~§~~~§~~~§~~~§~~~§~~~§~~~§~~~§

Sophie opened her eyes and blinked, trying to get used to the bright light. She sat up, and peered around. She was back at Foxfire, in the healing center.

"Good, you're awake." Lady Althea said, with a relieved sigh, "I was getting worried."

Sophie tried to sit up but was held down by Elwin.

"Not yet." He said, flashing a green sphere of light around her head, "Drink this."

Sophie grabbed a narrow yellow bottle and opened it up, gagging at the repulsive smell. She held her nose and gulped it down. It tasted like stale bread and rotten fish.

"When that ball of electricity exploded, you were throw backward against a tree. The tree was then hit by lightning." Lady Althea gave a small smile, "I was so worried, I rushed you back here and notified Elwin."

"You keep finding new ways to almost die, I can barely keep up!" Elwin laughed, helping her up, "You should be good to go, but take it easy for the next few days."

Lady Althea hugged her. Sophie was startled, but tentatively hugged her back.

"You had me so worried!" Lady Althea exclaimed, "But that power! Pure, raw power! You are definitely the most gifted prodigy I've ever had the privilege to work with! When I take them there, most prodigies just let out a bolt or two. What were you doing?"

"I'm not really sure." Sophie replied, "I just followed my instincts, like you said."

"I've never seen anyone do that before."

"I'm not entirely sure how I did it."

"I'm going to have to do some research. I think our lesson is done for today."

Sophie let out a sigh. She definitely was not going to be trying that again.

Short chapter. I will try to update again this weekend with a longer chapter. In the meantime, stay magical!

CoordinatedChaos💖