Chapter 26

Author's Note: If you have any writing tips, please feel free to comment.

Again, I gratefully accept constructive criticism as a means to help me develop my skills as a writer.

--- --- --- --- ---

Chapter 26

Three months later...

Price was driving to the Malloy residence to visit Lisa after she was discharged from the hospital for about three weeks now. MacTavish had his arm leaning on the window and was looking out on the different colored houses and the children playing on the pavement. It was a nice neighborhood and most of the houses had the American flag swaying in the wind on their porch considering that they lived very close to the base and most of the inhabitants were probably soldiers.

"Here we go," said Price and parked in front of a mint-colored house.

They got out and MacTavish observed the flags of the United States and the US Army on the porch. The small garden was filled with multi-colored flowers and a pebble pathway led to the large house. There was a bench on the porch overlooking the garden. Price and MacTavish walked up to the door and the former rang the bell. The door opened and Mrs. Malloy was standing there beaming as she saw Price.

"John! What a surprise!"

"Hi Margaret," said Price smiling and kissing her cheek.

"Come in," she said holding the door. "How are you, Captain MacTavish?"

"I'm fine ma'am."

"Louise! Come here for a second!" yelled Margaret.

They stood in the hallway where on their right, there was the sitting room and on their left a baby grand piano. The house was beautifully decorated with small sculptures and paintings all signed 'Louise Parker'. For a moment, MacTavish felt confused and then remembered that Lisa's sister was married hence the different surname.

A woman holding her back walked in the sitting room and gasped when she saw Price. Her light brown wavy hair was collected in a messy ponytail and her brown eyes lighted up at the sight of Price.

"Uncle John! It's been too long," she said overjoyed.

"Louise you look ravishing and... big!" he laughed.

Louise laughed and rubbed her baby bump.

"Four months to go and this baby's already killing my feet and back," she said and then turned to MacTavish. "You must be Captain MacTavish. Lisa told me so much about you."

"She did?" asked Margaret as Louise and MacTavish shook hands.

"You're together aren't you?" asked Louise.

"They are?! Why did nobody tell me?" asked Margaret frustrated.

"Because you'd have a wedding planned within a week mum that's why," said a woman behind them.

They turned around and saw Lisa, her right arm in a sling wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt. She had bags and dark circles under her eyes. Her skin looked clammy and looked like she lost weight. She wasn't smiling but had this monotonous expression on her face. In her hand, she held a packet of cigarettes and her Zippo.

"May I help you?" asked Malloy.

"We need to talk lass," said Price in a serious tone.

"Follow me."

"Would you like some tea or coffee?" asked Margaret.

After they declined politely, they followed Malloy to the backyard where they sat on the plastic chairs. Malloy took out a cigarette and lighted it. After putting the packet and the Zippo on the table, she looked at them and back at the rose bushes that were growing in the corner of the backyard.