THIRTY-EIGHT

I couldn’t believe this! I couldn’t believe so many people would love and appreciate us.

“Thank you!” I said into the microphone and the guys said so too.

Marc spread his arms around all of us and we hugged for a longtime, the crowd still clapping and cheering for us. The MC came to join us on the stage. “Give it up for Debonair once again!”

I looked at the audience once more and I saw so many people holding up placards with ‘I LOVE DEBONAIR’ written on it. I felt like a star!

Immediately we got backstage, Logan picked me up and started twirling me around in a circle “We did it Hazel!”

“Yeah, we did. Please put me down.” he obeyed and I ran to hug Marc. “You did a great job Marc”.

He laughed. “I didn’t do a great job. We did a great job. I’m so proud of all of us.”

I was expecting the usual “Group hug” from Clay but he had all of a sudden disappeared. I was about to ask where he was when Justin, Natasha, Valerie and Beauty ran in to hug us.

“You guys were great.”

“You were the best.”

“Claire would be so proud.”

Marc chuckled, “Yeah she would and thanks so much guys for your support. I couldn’t believe all this ‘I LOVE DEBONAIR’ posters I saw.”

It was Valerie that answered. “People really love you guys. When you guys were away from school for a while, the “I Love Debonair” campaign really spread and I think Claire’s death really contributed to it. Everybody loves Claire, you know.”

“Yes, they do.” Marc replied.

I suddenly remembered Elise then I asked “Could Miss E be Elise?” The six of them turned to me immediately like I had said something wrong.

“What?”

“Well, she was also videoing us while we performed and E is the first letter in Elise, so, it kind of fits.”

“But she hates you guys”

I shrugged, “Maybe she likes a cappella.”

Marc shook his head. “It doesn’t really make any sense to me.”

“Yeah, me too” Justin supported.

Well they could believe me or not but something told me I was right.

“Hey guys!” I heard Charlotte exclaim and I turned to see her approaching with Clay holding her hand.

Immediately she got closer, I noticed the diamond necklace around her neck. My eyes opened in amazement. Clay has asked her already!

“When?” I asked and she understood immediately.

“Just now” she replied.

I gave her a bear hug “I’m so happy for you Charlotte, finally!”

“Finally” she repeated.

I looked at the beautiful necklace and I remembered Claire words in her ‘will’. “Give it to Charlotte when you finally ask her to be your girlfriend and, don’t tell her it’s mine.”

I smiled at Charlotte “It’s beautiful.” 

“I know right. I was so surprised when Clay gave it to me.”

Natasha, Valerie and Beauty came to hug her and admire her necklace.

I ran towards Clay and when he saw me coming he opened his arms wide for a hug.

“Don’t carry me.” I warned.

He chuckled. “I wasn’t going to, sis, I’m no longer single.”

I laughed. “I’m so happy for you Clay boy.”

“Hmm, I love that name, thanks so much. I’m also very grateful to Claire also; it’s a pity she’s not here now.”

“Yeah I know. She seems to be the savior of the day.” I agreed and hugged him again.

“You have your girlfriend now.” Logan said from my back. As soon as I let go of Clay, they hugged themselves and after that Marc hugged Clay too.

“Congrats Clay”

“Thanks a lot guys.” Clay said then,

“Group hug!” he exclaimed.

This time, Valerie, Natasha, Justin and Beauty joined us. The hug felt suffocating and nice at the same time.

We made our ways back to our seats in the audience. I went to say hello to Dennis before sitting down.

“Hey Michele, you guys were great!” he exclaimed immediately he saw me.

“Thanks. How are you?”

“I’m great.” he smiled and said.

“You sure?”

“Yeah, I’ll be going back to school after the holidays.”

“Oh that’s good news,” I hugged him and added, “make sure you take care of yourself.”

He roared with laughter. “I should be telling you that and not the other way round. I’m not a child.”

I just smiled and looked into his eyes. One could still see the pain in them but he was trying his best to hide it. He noticed my seriousness and he stopped laughing. “I’ll take care of myself Michele.”

“Okay” I hugged him once more and gave him a peck and when I was about to go he said, “Claire would have loved the performance.”

“I know Dennis, she certainly would have.”

“And I never got to tell you that story of mine.”

I laughed. “I’ll be by your house to hear it.”

“Okay, bye.”

“Bye.”

I was about to meet my friends when I sighted dad and mum. I ran to meet them and they had a lot of hugs and kisses from me. I bent down to talk to them because the people sitting behind them seemed aggressive. “I’m so proud of you baby.”

“Ooh, thanks so much dad”

“I’m proud of you too” mum said like a three year old.

“I know that mum, thanks.”

I told them about Clay and Charlotte and they sent their regards to them. I also told them about my feelings that Elise was Miss E.

“You’re right” dad said.

“How do you know that honey?” mum asked.

“Well” he whispered and mum and I had to lean forward to hear him over the noise, “I was on my way to the restroom when I heard a group of girls saying that you guys were so good. I knew Elise was there because someone called her name and she fit your description very well.”

Mum shook her head. “How does that make you sure she’s Miss E?”

Maxwell was pulling my hair and trying to distract me but I ignored him as dad continued. “She told them she was uploading the video that moment and she asked if any of them revealed the secret that she was Miss E and they all shook their heads.”

This is unbelievable. Elise is Miss E! Somebody pinch me! I gave Maxwell a kiss on his forehead and stood up, “Thanks so much dad.”

I ran to meet my friends and broke the news to them.

“I can’t believe it!”

“Why would she create a chat room for us?”

“Hmm…this is weird.”

Justin shook his head “I would believe that Claire has risen up from the dead before I believe that Elise Wright is Miss E.”

Marc hit him on his shoulder “Shut up Justin, we have proof.”

“I’m sorry but it’s just so hard to believe.”

“Suit yourself then.”

“But why do you think she did it?” Charlotte asked.

“I don’t know” the eight of us chorused then burst out in laughter.

The gay mood had returned.

“I think we should forget about that for now and watch the last talent for the night.” Beauty put in.

“Yeah, nice idea” Natasha agreed.

We all kept quiet to watch the last act who was a dancer.

“He’s good.” Justin said.

“Not as good as Debonair” Valerie objected.

Please don't forget to vote and drop your comments.

Love,
Prisca.