THIRTY-THREE

I was waving to mum and dad as they dropped me off at Logan’s porch on their way to the mall.
“We want to start shopping for Christmas.” Dad had said.

“That’s nice. You guys could go anywhere you wish to, just drop me off at Logan’s house.” was my response and they just giggled and rolled their eyes.

Now standing just outside the door I was waiting patiently for the smiling Wendy to open the door.

I saw a smiling Logan instead.

My heart leapt wildly and I just stood glaring like a statue.

“Hello!” He exclaimed.

“Hi” I managed to say.

“Come in.” We walked to the sitting room and he explained that Wendy was not feeling too well and she was upstairs asleep.

“And your parents?”

“They aren’t around.”

“Oh” I stylishly looked around for my purse and realized it wasn’t there.

“Your purse right?”

“Yeah, I forgot it here yesterday.”

“I know. It’s upstairs.”

My mouth fell open. He took it to his room! That was excellent, he must have searched it! I feel like dancing.

Logan mistook my expression and started explaining to me. “Ehm…I did not search it, okay?  I just took it to my room so that my parents wouldn’t see it!”

“No problem, you just get it for me while I serve this hot pancake I made for you.”

He licked is lips, pointed to the kitchen door and ran upstairs to get my purse.

I went to the kitchen I was so familiar with and brought out two plates to serve the pancakes I had skipped during breakfast. I remembered the last time I was here with Mrs. Prescott.

I served him the pancake and sat opposite him. He took a piece of the pancake into his mouth and smiled immediately, “Tastes good.”

I blushed. “Thanks.”

He closed his eyes to savor the taste and “He is the same Logan.” I said to myself.

“So why did you guys leave so abruptly yesterday? I got really bored after you guys left; I was praying you guys would come back today.”

In my head I was hearing only you and not you guys.

“Ehm …nothing, Clay was tired, he wanted to go home.”

He nodded, already on another piece of pancake. “So what song do you guys plan to sing for the competition?”  

It looked like he was just trying to start up a conversation.

“We are singing Lay Me Down by Sam Smith and…”    

“I haven’t heard that before,” he interrupted me.

Of course you haven’t! It wasn’t out three years ago but I just smiled and said, “Maybe I will send it to your phone before I leave.”

“Oh. Thanks.”

He became silent and the only sound I heard was the sound of his eating. He finished the pancake and I gave him mine. I’d have to wait for lunch before I have my first meal for the day.

He finally spoke up. “So who were the other members of your a cappella group? Yesterday you said something about you guys being more than three.”

“Oh.”

Was I supposed to lie or tell him the truth? I remembered dad’s warning yesterday. He had said I should not push it; I had to try not to.

“Ehm…a friend of mine who has moved to a very, very, very far place and…”

He laughed. “Must be really far.”

“Yeah”

Claire was the friend.

“And who?”  He asked.

“Ehm…my…my…”

“Your… your…?”