ELEVEN

“Thanks for the ride Logan.”  I said coming down from his car.

The ride had been so silent. There wasn’t anything to say or, we simply didn’t want to say what was on our minds.

I was so worried about Claire and didn’t want anyone to know, not even Logan. That was the reason I didn’t speak throughout the ride, I was afraid he would sense my worry.

“Yeah, take care of yourself, Hazel. Happy Halloween.”

“Yeah, same to you.” I said and he rode off.

That was the weirdest encounter with Logan.

I didn’t move from the spot I was standing. I was thinking about Claire. I still could not process the fact that she had cancer.

Gosh, she looked so pale and she was still denying the fact and saying that she was going to be fine. Doctor Gilbert had confirmed that she would be discharged soon. He said she was getting better, but she wasn’t getting better, because she wasn’t look better!

Claire didn’t even have the slightest idea of how her illness was affecting us. Marc looked so devastated; he wasn’t his old self anymore. Sometimes, he even forgot to wear his matching clothes.

Clay on the other hand, always looked like he had been crying, which he probably has been doing. Clay couldn’t hide his feelings like the other guys. One look in his dark eyes and you’d know everything on his mind.

Logan seemed to be taking everything easy. He hadn’t changed much in these past few days; he looked the same. He was probably trying to be strong for us all.

I sighed and started walking up the porch. Home sweet home.

There’s no place like home they say but now, I felt like every other place was better than home. I always dreaded opening the door because of one particular face- his face.

I opened the door and the first thing I saw his face. Wow, what luck.

“Hey there,” he greeted and I ignored him “your mum’s not at home.”

Like I didn’t know.

“I made lunch for you.”

Didn’t this man grab that I was not interested in anything he was saying?

I walked into the kitchen and the aroma of the food enveloped me. Gosh, I had actually forgotten how much of a good cook he was. He had actually thought me how to cook.

My mind travelled back to when we would prepare dinner while mum sat watching TV. I remembered how he’d always remind me that I was American and constantly teach me how to prepare American dishes.

I smiled remembering how close we were, how mum always complained and said she was jealous. How we would both play pranks on mum and how he would carry me on his neck when I was younger.

I remembered  how…

The noise at the door interrupted me and I was glad for the interruption. It was Maxwell. He was crying and Nathan was trying to calm him down.

I tiptoed to the door to watch Nathan cuddle Maxwell. They had grown accustomed to each other already and I did not like that. Why are babies so quick to forgive?

“It’s okay Baby M.” he said softly.

Now, who was Baby M? His name was Maxwell and not whatever he was calling him.

I rushed into the sitting room. I was about to collect Maxwell from him but he pulled him back.

“I’ve got this Michele.”

Did he really think I was going to stand there and watch my baby brother crying?

I pulled Maxwell from him with so much force. “I know how to calm him down Nathan. I’ve known him since he was born.” I started upstairs and paused to say “And I’m not interested in your lunch.” I turned and walked up to my room.

*                        *                         *
Mum was home!

I heard the door open and I heard her shout “I’m home!”

I ran down stairs to give her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I had been waiting for her arrival since, because I was so bored in my room.

“How are you darling?”

“l am good and you?”

“Great!”

Nathan came in to greet her.
“Welcome home dear”, he gave her a hug and a kiss.

Gross!

The door bell jingle and I ran to open it. A bunch of kids were on the porch in their different costumes holding their pumpkins, probably awaiting candy.

“Hello!”

I could recognize some of them who lived on my street. “Hi Jack, hi Kate, what are the names of your friends?”

Jack and Kate were the only ones whose name I knew. Jack was dressed as a pirate and Kate as a princess.

Kate smiled sheepishly “This is Jason, he is my cousin, and this is Florence she …”

Nathan interrupted her, “Hello!” he said coming to stand beside me at the door.

“Hi!” the children chorused.

“Want some candy?”

“Yes!” they exclaimed happily.

“I’ll be right back”.

Nathan dashed back into the house and I followed to see what he wanted to do.

“Honey, some kids are here already! I told you it wasn’t a waste of money.” he announced.

He rushed into in the kitchen and came out with loads of candy. He took them outside and I could hear the jubilation of the children.

I went to sit on the couch besides mum and turned to face her, “What did he mean by ‘I told you it wasn’t a waste of money’?” I asked.

“Oh that,” she smiled “when we went shopping the other day, he said we should buy some candy for Halloween and I disagreed telling him we never celebrated it and children never come here.”

“So how come they are here today?” I asked.

Mum shrugged, “I have no idea Michele; your dad is full of surprises.”

She removed her shoes and went into the kitchen and Nathan came inside with the biggest smile on his face.

Mum came out then with a plate of food- the plate of food. The food he prepared for me. “Michele, why didn’t you eat your lunch?”

Ha ha, very funny!

“Nice try mum but I know Nathan prepared it. I’ve told him I’m not interested.” I gave Nathan a quick look and I saw his smile had seized then I started up the stairs to my room again. Back to boredom.

“Michele! Come back here this minute.”

I ignored her.

Please don't forget to vote and drop your comments.

Love,
Prisca.