THIRTEEN

It was Wednesday night. We were waiting anxiously in Claire’s hospital room for Clay’s arrival.

“What says the time?” I asked Logan for the umpteenth time.

“Eight fifty three.” he answered.

“What’s taking Clay so long?!”

“Maybe he’s decided to sleep at her house.” Logan put in.

“Shut up Logan!”

I was sitting beside Logan and we were sharing a blanket and a cup of tea.

“The tea they have here is so delicious.” he complimented.

“Then go get yours.”

He stuck out his tongue.

Claire was lying on her bed and Marc was sitting beside her on it. She had been lying on that bed for almost seven days. I had not seen her seated upright at all. Was she really getting better?

“Which couple do you think is best?” Logan whispered in my ear “Us or them?”

“Are you kidding me Logan, it is definitely them.”

“And why would you say that?”

He asked in a confused manner.
“Because they are better than us, dorrh!”

“How?”

I rolled my eyes heavenwards. “Aren’t the reasons obvious?” I paused to look at Marc and Claire, they were in a deep conversion, and then I continued “Marc cut his hair for Claire, he also sang for her, he’s been here for her since day one, he has even stopped dressing weirdly if you’ve noticed.”

He looked dumbfounded for a minute then he spoke. “If that is what you want Michele, I’ll give it to you. I’ll sing for you even though my voice is not as good as Marc’s, I’ll cut my hair if you want, I’ll …”

“Shut up!” I giggled some them continued. “I don’t want you to cut your hair or sing for me. You don’t have to copy him for us to be as good as they are.”

“So what do you want me to do?” he asked.

I put my finger to my chin thinking of what to say. “You are perfect for me. I do not want you to change the way you look, you are handsome the way you are.” He smiled at my statement. “I want us to fight less; I want you to be less jealous, I want you to always be there for me when I’m down and so many things like that.”

“But…”

“I’m not complaining.” I added ignoring his interruption “You are the best boyfriend I could ever have.”

“Thanks and I’ll try to be better. One day I’ll take you to a spot where we’ll just pack the car and stare at the stars.”

“Oooooh, I’ll love that.”

He smiled then he kissed me.

“Now, what’s going on here?”

Clay!

I didn’t even hear him entering the room.

“You’re back!” I screamed.

“Yeah, I’ve been for a while but I just stood here when none of you noticed me.”

Logan shrugged “You can’t blame us; we’ve been waiting for you for quite some time. The moment we gave up, you walked in.”

Clay just smiled and nodded.

I jumped up from the seat to give him a hug and a peck on the cheek.
“How did it go?”

He smiled, looking from Marc to Claire he chuckled and said “I’ve been cheating myself for a long time guys.”

Marc stood immediately to hug him and Logan rushed to join in the hug. The air was filled with laughter.

Claire cleared her throat “I’m still alive, ain’t I?”

Clay was the first to detach himself from the hug. He ran to hug Claire on the bed “I’m sorry, they got carried away.”

Yeah we did! I felt so sorry for Claire, she must have been feeling left out for quite some time already.