57~ Gentle

Ashton isn't at school today. He also hasn't answered his phone.

At first, I think he's just sleeping in but then third period rolls around and he's still a no show. I try not to panic, maybe he's just sick. Everyone gets a stomach bug. I go through fourth period constantly checking the door, ready for him to walk in at any moment, a smirk on his face.

He doesn't and by the time I get to the cafe I'm trying to talk myself out of leaving school to go check on him. I can't do that because until May 3rd I'm still on lock down, no matter what Ricardo has planned.

So instead I tap my fingers anxiously against the table, letting my fear control my thoughts. Gabe sits down, offering me a chicken nugget. I accept it, momentarily wondering how he gets off campus food. Before I can ask, I catch sight of my bracelet.

"Have you heard from Ashton?" I ask him, slightly embarrassed.

Gabe gives me a sympathetic look, "Sorry, Letty, He was a no show for breakfast this morning. I figured he was sick."

My stomach falls, somethings wrong. Ashton never misses Thursday breakfast.

"Hey, don't worry about it, I'm sure he's just resting. After all, you've been keeping him pretty busy these past few weeks." He laughs, clearly amused by my blush.

Rolling my eyes I slap his shoulder, slightly uncomfortable. We haven't done that again. I don't have any regrets and I certainly don't have a reason not to. it's just we don't have the opportunity.

I decided early on that my house is not an option, my siblings could walk into my room at any second and I'm always needed. They come first, no matter what. Besides, I don't think I could handle Saffron accidentally walking in after one of her nightmares. We'd both be scarred for life.

"How kind, at least I know I can always count on you to keep it real." I offer dryly.

He frowns, taking back the second chicken nugget he offered me. "I'm kidding, don't worry."

I steal it back as I get a text. Forgetting the nugget I reach for my phone, almost dropping it in the process.

Gabe laughs, "God, the amount of times I've seen Ashton do the same thing is unsettling."

I flip him off, a small part of me humored by that piece of information. One day I think I'll have to ask Gabe about all the other things Ashton used to say and do because of me.

It's not Ashton, but Liz that texts asking me to bring Ronnie home.

I relax a little, obviously nothing is wrong if Liz seems okay. He's just sick. Only three more classes than I can go visit him, maybe I'll bring him some medicine and lots of snuggles.

Turning my attention back to Gabe, I find him winking at a girl from across the room, his entire demeanor has shifted from friend to player.

"A sophomore, really?" I ask incredulously.

He shrugs, leaning back in his chair, an easy grin on his face. "What can I say, Letty, a player never sleeps."

What a pig. I get up and make my way through the tables before stopping in front of the girls table. She's cute, red hair and green eyes that balance out her pale skin.

"Can I help you?" She asks.

I smile, taking the empty chair next to her. "Actually, you can. Do you see that pig sitting at that table over there?"

She looks over to where I'm pointing, a blush spreading across her face as she waves back to my friend. "Gabe, of course."

Oh, honey no. "Good. So by this point you already know he's trying to hook up with you?"