36~ Ticklish

The drive home is silent.

I'm amazed by how much snow has fallen in the past twenty minutes as we walk up to my porch, both of us standing there awkwardly?

"You can come in."

"I'm sorry for earlier."

We speak at the same time and just like that the awkwardness is gone.

"Don't worry about it, no one can control Gabe, even you." I chuckle, remembering the countless times his recklessness has gotten the best of him.

Ashton starts to say something but my phone rings, it's Sage.

"Scarlett, we have a little problem." The realization that he should've been home by now hits me and I begin to panic.

"What's wrong? Are you ok?" 

"I'm fine, Ella's fine. I'm at her house, the problem is that the back roads have already iced over and I don't think I can drive home."

The drive from Ella's house is full of twists and turns, already dangerous without ice.

"Then just stay there. You can drive home tomorrow morning." I assure him.

"What about the twins?"

"I'll call and see where they are."

Let's all split up, it will be fun. These are the thoughts of someone who didn't think to look at the weather.

"You don't need to be home alone if the snow gets worse."

I smile fondly at the concern my brother has but he isn't leaving that house. "I'm not alone right now." I say quickly, hoping he won't ask questions.

"Who's with you?"

Shit. "Um, Ashton."

Ella squeals in the background, which only makes me roll my eyes. I can practically hear the smirk on my brothers face, "Well then, I'll see you tomorrow. Love you, Scarlett."

"Yeah, I love you too."

I fill Ashton in on where Sage was, leaving out the smug goodbye, before calling the twins. Turns out, Kim picked them up early and took them back to her house because, of course, she knew it was going to snow. At least they're safe.

"I can try to get Saffron." I begin to head back down the stairs.

"She's fine at my house." Ashton assures me, his arm wrapping around my waist to stop me.

"Are you sure? Is Abuela ok to be alone with them in the snow?" They're a lot to deal with.

I'm heading back down the stairs again but Ashton picks me up, carrying me to the door. "Mom and Dad got home five minutes ago. Everyone is ok, stop worrying."

I don't stop worrying until I've called her and said goodnight. I also call Stella, learning that she and James are stuck at a hotel in the city for the night, not that she minds. I hang up with her once she begins to ask questions about Ashton. So nosey.

"So I guess you're going home now?" I ask, evaluating the roads. They aren't iced over yet but that's likely to change soon. Liz probably wants him home before it gets worse.

He snorts, "Nope." And with with he walks inside my house like he owns the place.

I follow him inside, turning on the fireplace in the tv room. He looks at my mess of now melted ice cream and scary movies, arching an eyebrow at me as he holds up the empty carton.

I snatch it from him, "Don't say a word, I was planning on spending tonight in solitude"

He holds a laugh back as he helps me clean up. By the time I finish mopping up the melted mint chocolate chip, the wind picks up. There's no way we're gonna have school tomorrow.