51~ Help

"Scarlett, do you have any idea who Patricia Wainwright is?"

I scan the pictures on Dave's wall, fighting fatigue. I haven't really slept in the past twenty four hours, only getting a few moments of rest in the hotel room.

I pinch myself, the hotel is the last thing I want to think about right now.

"No, I've never heard her name before." I tell him for the thousandth time. I just haven't been able to forget it.

Dave and Joe share a look, "She's known to be in the pocket of the Widows." My blood runs cold as he continues, wide awake. "Usually the only cases she works on are to ensure members keep custody of their kids. Occasionally, she makes sure enemies get looked at in a harsher light."

Bennett.

My heart beat increases as all the pieces finally fall into place. The guys were never the real target, just a distraction to make me think it was over. He sent me those roses on my birthday, one last promise. I was just too stupid to realize it.

He will make sure I have nothing.

"Scarlett, why would she take your case?" Joe asks tentatively.

I focus on a picture of Ella and I from freshman year, a spider charm hanging from my neck. "Because, I dated the guy who's next in line to run the Widows."

Dave rests his head on the table, "This complicates things."

I snort, you're telling me. My life would be so much easier if I had never met that guy.

"Do I stand any chance?" I finally ask, not really wanting to hear their response.

They grimace, "It's a long shot but with the right judge you should be okay."

I cringe at their forced optimism, something tells me there's plenty of judges in their pocket as well. If anything, this is all one big house of cards one gust of wind from crumbling.

These last few weeks I've made the mistake of viewing Bennett as a storm, violent and loud. In reality he's nothing more than a breeze, stealthy enough to go unnoticed until the damage has been done.

If my life wasn't completely falling apart I'd be impressed.

"Honestly, Scarlett, you should talk to your therapist. It will look better for you to attempt to heal."

I glare at him, I don't really feel like talking about my feelings right now and that was the one catch Ms. Sims had with me. But, technically, I'm now 18 and no longer obligated to see Dr. O'Shannon.

"These next few weeks you need to keep everything in tip top shape. Behavior, attendance, grades, they will check everything." Joe informs me.

I nod my head, I can manage living under the magnifying glass for a little while longer. Let's just hope no one sets us in the path of the sun.

*****

Sage and I walk down the hallway Monday morning, two minutes before class starts. We both look terrible and are utterly miserable but we're here. This is the first time in two years we've left the house looking like Zombies. I honestly don't have it in me to give a shit anymore.

I enter Ms. Miller's class just as the bell rings, slapping my project on her desk before taking my seat. No one talks to me and I don't try to say anything to them. Ashton stares at me from the moment I walk into the room.

I don't look at him.

I go through the day in a trance, I think someone told my teachers to give me grace. A disgusted snort escapes my lips when I consider the fact it might've been Ms. Miller. I don't want her kindness.