38~ Out

"I'm thinking about asking someone to the formal." Sterling offers at dinner one night.

A smile breaks out on my face as Sage and I share a look. The formal is a dance they do for 7th and 8th graders, their own little prom. It's the most adorable and awkward night any middle schooler could experience.

"Who?" I ask, setting my fork down. Holding back the sea of questions I want to ask. That would only cause Sterling to go quiet, he's the type of of kid you have to ease information out of.

"Katy Wilson, we have French together." He informs us with a shy smile before going back to eating his peas.

And that's all the information he's going to give us. I remember the name, one of the girls who was at their birthday party. I expect Silver to be happy for his brother but, instead, he's glares at his plate, attacking his potatoes.

Oh, no, please not another fight. Last night they exploded on each other for no reason. Unconfirmed secrets driving them apart.

"Silv, are you asking anyone?" My voice is tentative, I don't know if he'll get mad if I ask or if I don't. There's rarely a win in this situation.

"Nope." He says bluntly, shoving food into his mouth. It's definitely the first option.

I go back to my food but Sage, who has no social cues whatsoever pipes up, "Are you sure li'l bro? I could help you ask a girl out."

Sterling winces and tries to stop Sage but it's too late. Silver throws his fork onto his plate, "Why does everyone assume I like girls?"

Immediately, he freezes, a look of shock on his face as he process his words before he darts upstairs.

Did he just... did he say what I think he said?

I look to Sterling for confirmation but he's already running after him.

"Oh my God! I fucked up." Sage panics, pacing the length of the kitchen, pulling his hair.

I can't move I'm so surprised. How could I not notice? Silver's always the one to mention girls. Always. He was the little ladies man and he loved the title.

But then I think of all the fights the twins have had recently. The mentioning of secrets. Not to mention the birthday party where he literally got into a fight when he didn't kiss someone.

He didn't love the title, he hid behind it.

I take the stairs two at a time, the sound of Sterling pounding on the door getting louder with every step. Silver crying on the other side. I place a hand on Sterlings shoulder and he moves back. I try the handle and it's locked.

I knock once and he doesn't answer. I try again, "Silver, please unlock your door. You don't have to come out just unlock it."

I won't make him come out, knowing that when he's ready he'll let us know. I just don't like the idea of being unable to get in in case something happens. I hear the click of the lock and relax a little. It's not much but it's progress.

I slide onto the floor, joining Sterling who has taken position there. A guard dog, watching over his best friend. Sage and Saffron come up a few seconds later and we wait..

None of us move or make a sound as we wait. Sporadic sobs, footsteps, and slamming spill out from his room. All I want to do is hug my baby brother but he needs space. Sage holds his head in his hands, jamming the heels of his hands into his eyes. I know he's beating himself up for speaking without thinking, I feel the same way.

How could we be so stupid?

The door opens, we all jump up from the ground. The sight of my baby brother breaking my heart. His eyes are bloodshot from crying, strands of brown hair turned in every direction from pulling at it. My stomach rolls when I catch sight of his nails. He's chewed them to the nub, his anxiety getting the best of him.