"Can I tell you a secret?" He whispers in my ear once he catches up, purposely making sure his lips brush against my skin.

"What?" I ask calmly, not falling for his trick even though I have goosebumps on my arms.

"I love you."

A smile works its way onto my face as I look at him. Forever blown away by the look on his face when he says those words. "I love you too. But really, Twitter?"

He shrugs, mindful of my back as he throws his arm over my shoulders. "What can I say, I was in a pretty good mood."

Of course he was, I didn't miss the date. He posted the tweet right after he dropped me off at home Friday night. Someone was in more than a good mood.

"You're such a dork." I tease.

Ashton pulls me close, "But I'm your dork."

I laugh, I guess he is.

*****

After school, I find myself knocking on Ms. Millers classroom door. I didn't expect to be nervous but my palms begin to sweat and my stomach is suddenly queasy.

The door opens and she freezes, clearly not expecting to see me on the other side. She lets me in and I begin to fidget with my necklace. I spent all of first period avoiding her, trying to make myself as little as possible. John didn't tell me I had to apologize but I need to.

"I'm sorry." I tell her, forcing myself to look her in the eyes.

I can do this.

"Scarlett, honey, you don't have to-" she tries to stop me, reaching her hand out before thinking better of it. I wonder what else she knows about me, what tells she's picked up.

"No, I do." I assure her. "The things I said to you last week were uncalled for and for that I am sorry. I'm also sorry for not reacting better to you dating my uncle. John is the closest thing I have to a father and I want nothing more than for him to be happy."

"I know that." She says and I know she genuinely means it.

"You make him happy. I was just so caught up in my own mess that I didn't even think about that. Thank you for making him happy."

I was excited John had somebody until I learned who it was. It was immature of me, even though I would've preferred to have found out in a different way. She cared enough to drive two hours just to be with him.

To be with us.

She didn't even know Saffron but she still showed up, ready to help in any way possible. I've never been kind to this woman, even as she began to lighten up. She has received nothing but attitude and sass and, yet, she still came.

Ms. Miller isn't a she demon of a teacher, she's a human being.

Reaching into my back pack, I pull out my essay, now finished. "I'm sorry for not doing my project. After receiving a lecture from John on how my college fund couldn't go to waste and the importance of bettering myself, I redid it. I understand if you choose to make any deductions for it being late."

She takes it from me, flipping through the pages. I'm expecting her to dismiss me or even throw the paper away but instead she smiles. "Was it a painful lecture?"

"The worst." I confirm, a small smile working its way onto my face. I've never seen Uncle John so agitated in my life, there were lists of benefits and reasons to go reiterated a thousand different ways and that was after I already agreed to Ricardo's deal.

I would've been annoyed but he was just worried. I never took the time to consider what promises he's fulfilling for our parents. Or what the weight of those promises did to him.