9 - Vacationland

Maddie had lost seventeen pounds by the first of March and as Peter predicted, she officially completed the full loop running Shore Road to River Road

Maddie had lost seventeen pounds by the first of March and as Peter predicted, she officially completed the full loop running Shore Road to River Road. She was working on her second loop in small increments. Along with the weight she was whittling away the inches. She was still overweight, but her tight pants were too big. She felt better and was convinced she would wear those shorts before Labor Day.

The real test was when she had a surprise visitor. Steve appeared at her door one evening. She didn't want to let him in, but he wanted to talk. She moved aside.

"Gee Maddie, you look good. You never looked that good when we were together."

"Thanks Steve, but I did until I started eating my frustrations from dating you."

"Feisty. I think we need to get back together."

"I disagree. If that's why you came, you can go."

"I miss you. Don't you miss us?"

"Truthfully, no."

After he left, she looked in the refrigerator and rummaged through the pantry. Luckily, she found nothing to eat. He was making her want to eat her emotions again. Instead, she jumped on the treadmill and ran until she couldn't run anymore.

The next night she heard a knock at her door ready to yell at Steve, but it was Lynn on her doorstep. Lynn lived above the market in a small apartment.

"I did it!" She pushed past Maddie.

"Did what?"

"I went out with Billy," she cried, as if she was confessing to murder.

"You did! Did he clean up for you?"

"He shaved and had a haircut. Oh, God! Maddie! Underneath all that hair he's really cute."

"That's good isn't it? Didn't you have a good time?"

"Yes! That's the problem and then he kissed me. I haven't been able to think about anything except that kiss since. What am I going to do?"

"I think you need to keep kissing him."

"But it's Billy! Billy... Billy who I've known forever." Lynn was distraught.

"I think you're a perfect pair. You both probably reek of fish." Maddie teased.

"Do you think I smelled of fish? He smelled good like some kind of musky aftershave."

"I was teasing. Are you going to see him again?"

"I see him every day. What do I say? How do I act?"

"Act normally until you can get him in the backroom. Then kiss him to make sure it was as good as the first one."

"Maddie, you're crazy. I thought you loved me!"

"I do. That's why I want you to be happy."

When Lynn left, she was calmer, and Maddie felt giddy over her cousin's excitement.