15

Chapter 15

Tuffnut patted Hiccup on the back quickly while Fishlegs grabbed some water. Astrid's question had not only startled him but had him choking somewhat. "There there," Tuffnut said in a mother hen voice as he rubbed Hiccup's back.

"Why did you choke Hiccup?" Fishlegs asked while looking a bit worried. From the headset Hiccup heard Astrid say "You can tell them if you trust them. I wouldn't mind."

"Guys......... can you keep a secret?" Hiccup asked as he looked at the people sitting at the table. "And I mean.... A big secret?"

"I have no one to tell," Fishlegs said while the twins made a hand motion and said in unison "Cross my heart and pray to Loki." All eyes fell on Snotlout who then looked at the other teens in contemplation. Finally he said "I'm not gonna tell my dad or anyone else, crap! They can eat my shorts!"

That admission from Snotlout got a nod from Hiccup while Ruffnut rolled her eyes and muttered "No one even wants to see your shorts!"

Hiccup revealed the headset by swiping back some of his auburn hair before the 'shorts' argument could escalate. "What is that?" Fishlegs was the first to ask.

"It's a device with which I can communicate with Astrid." Hiccup explained.

"WHO IS ASTRID!" The twins suddenly asked as Ruffnut gripped his shoulders and shook. "Are you seeing someone? How can I not know the juicy details?!!! Spill boy! Spill!"

"Sis! You're going to kill Hiccup!" Tuffnut said as he tried to pry her off.

"Let..... me.... Breathe!" Hiccup managed to wheeze out. Ruffnut finally let go and looked at Hiccup with a critical eye. "Astrid.... Is...... the.... A.I......" He managed to get out.

"The A.I. as in.... Arcadia's A.I.?" Fishlegs asked while looking pensive. Hiccup nodded. "Why would she give you a headset?"

"So we could talk privately." Was all Hiccup answered.

"And you nearly died by grape because......?" Snotlout now asked.

"She wanted to know about human mating rituals," Hiccup finally got to the matter at hand and the gang was watching him all curiously.

"Oh, is that all?" Tuffnut shrugged.

"It caught me by surprise alright!" Hiccup exclaimed. "It's not as if I picked up a girl before!"

"Well then you've certainly come to the master." Snotlout boasted. "Lesson one of human mating rituals: Flirting,"

"Oh Thor," Fishlegs mumbled while Snotlout was boasting.

"So let's start with winking......" Snotlout smiled and looked at Hiccup.

"Winking?" Hiccup asked curiously.

"Yes, like this," Snotlout said and demonstrated.

"Does your cousin have some dust in his eye?" Astrid asked as she observed. "I could recommend a good eye solution." This caused Hiccup to guffaw and Snotlout to frown.

"Winking not working?" Snotlout asked. "Why not try serenading the lady?"

"Oh Thor!" Fishlegs groaned as Snotlout started to sing a made-up romantic ballad. A very badly made up romantic ballad.

"And now we know why those two sisters chased him through the settlement with pitchforks." Tuffnut said. "Sis, you sure you wann-hfffff," Ruffnut quickly clamped a hand over her brother's mouth.

"Okay okay.... I'll let you in on my secret! EYEBROW RAISING!" Snotlout exclaimed.

"Snot, that didn't even work the last few times you tried it!" Fishlegs now exclaimed.