7

Chapter 7

"Are we there yet?" Snotlout asked as the staircase, after nearly eighteen flights of stairs, led them to a small hallway. The hallway didn't seem to have been in frequent use and Hiccup thought that this might have been an old service tunnel.

"Snotlout, if you ask that again," Tuffnut warned.

"Hey! I'm allowed! My legs are shorter than yours." Snotlout retorted as the gang used their torches. The flashlights gave off a yellowish light that made the hallway seem eerier.

"This hallway seems to go on forever," Fishlegs commented as they continued onwards. "Hiccup, I think this hallway leads into the side mountain."

"Why would they even build this?" Hiccup asked aloud as they continued straight. The flashlights were starting to dim when they came upon two metal doors on each side of the hall. The nameplates on the doors however were rusted so no one could read what they said in their entirety. One read 'Wa......rtre....' while the other on the right hand side read 'Was........ment'.

"We go this way!" Snotlout proudly proclaimed as he pointed towards the right door.

"Why?" Fishlegs asked.

"Cause it's the right way, DUH!" Snotlout proclaimed as he didn't wait for the others and instead opened the right door. The shorter man stepped through and immediately plummeted down. "AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!" Snotlout yelled at the same time as the gang shouted his name in concern. Then there came a 'splat'.

"OH MY THOR!" Snotlout shouted from the room as the gang clustered around the door while Hiccup was shining a light into the dark and very smelly room.

"Snotlout are you alright?" Fishlegs asked worriedly as he wrinkled his nose at the putrid smell.

"Am I alright?! Am I alright?!"" Snotlout shrieked. "My beautiful face is covered in Thor-knows-what! NO I AM NOT ALRIGHT!"

"He's alright," The twins shrugged nonchalantly now.

"Snotlout I see a metal ladder here. Can you reach it?" Hiccup asked as the other teens started backing up, wanting to be as far away from the smell as possible. There was some squelching sounds now emanating from the room and they heard Snotlout shout "Oh my Thor! I think something just crawled into my pants!"

"I did not need to know that," Fishlegs whispered as there was some grunting. Snotlout, disheveled and covered in something that let off a putrid stench, made his way back up and out of the foul smelling room.

"Just what was that?!" He yelled as he shot a glare back at the room to which the twins promptly closed the door.

"My guess, waste," Ruffnut wanted to vomit due to the smell. "Remember the time we went scouting and came upon one of the gigantic trash heaps our ancestors left behind."

"Ooooooh, you mean the one where Fishlegs developed a fear of buzzards." Tuffnut added.

"I did not!" Fishlegs protested. "Those birds are just so persistent. Of all the animals not to go extinct!"

"Guys, we can argue later. Maybe we should check the other room." Hiccup suggested. "I'm sure we all hate to be in a small hallway with a stinky Snotlout at the moment."

"HEY!" Snotlout shouted but then sniffed himself and grimaced. "Okay, you may have a point." Tuffnut laughed at this which caused Snotlout to scowl.

"Ugh..... but this time Hiccup opens the door." Snotlout said with some nervousness. "Let's see how lucky you get."

Hiccup carefully approached the door and turned the handle. The metal door creaked open and he peered inside. "Well this room doesn't have waste." Hiccup said as he opened the door wider so that the teens could also come inside. The lights went on automatically causing the group to startle.