Chapter 4 - Part 2

The Kristian view of things

I sat there watching the twinkling stars sit beautifully on the dark purple sky. My eyes followed the movement of every plane that flew by and every faint cloud that covered the purple abyss.

Suddenly my thoughts drew back to Ashanti – my Juliet. The smartest, the most beautiful and angelical coloured girl who lives in the beach house right next to the Kingston Manor.

Ashanti oozed beauty, everything about her screamed magnificence but I knew that if she knew who I truly was my past would overshadow the future that lies ahead of us. I will not lose the best thing that could ever happen to me.

I don’t want to miss out on the days where I would wrap my arms around her frame as we watch the tides move on to the shore from our balcony. I will not miss the chance of leaving a trail of pleasurable and desirable kisses up her neck to her high cheek bones. I do not wish to miss out on showing her the highest elevation of love.

However my past had an even chance of destroying and deterring everything that would give me that opportunity.

“I can’t do it Rob!” I shouted, looking down at the young coloured boy who lay helpless on the ground. He coughed out blood and held his chest real tight, he was scared of me and there was nothing he can do to defend himself.

“You can do this, look take this!” he shoved a long bamboo stick into my hand and signalized for me to whack him around the head with the instrument of pain. “Make Dad proud”

I stood there with the stick in hand and my mouth slightly opened, it had a sharp circumference and it was hard. Just one whack and he would bleed to death and I’m sure the doctors won’t do anything about it, because he is just a young coloured boy.

I gulped. I’m not about this life.

Just as I was about to put the stick down I felt an arm snake around my neck. It was my Dad with a cigar in his mouth, obviously trying to persuade me.

“Son, you need to show him and his kind that we are more superior and better than them” he took a long hard drag of his cigar and blew out the thick cloud of death from within, he continued “I promised your mama that you would be a strong guy when you turn sixteen, you went as far as to beat this young lad down but now you wanna stop here?”

I looked down at the stick. This was wrong.

“But Pa, this is murder”

“Nonsense, this is what our ancestors wanted, this is what GOD wants!” he threw his cigar on the ground and snatched the stick from me.

I watched Dad as he walked over to the boy who grunted in pain and literally crawling on his belly so he could escape from my old man.

“This is how you do it son!” Dad pulled the boys leg like he was some sort of dead animal; dragging him along the concrete as the boy screamed in pain.

“Shut your black mouth!” Rob and his friends screamed at the boy, wanting a little more than just front row seats to this action.

Dad turned him around on his back and lifted the stick up; he had that sinister kind of look... He went cold.

This is not my old man.

“DAD!” I roared in horror, he put the stick down and looked at me with a smile.

“What son?”

“I’ll hit around a few times with the stick but just don’t kill him”