Chapter 4

I continued to sprint, the alarms still blaring nearby. I charged full speed into the woods, my tail flying behind me.

    I was filled with adrenaline, the excitement of my escape still flashing in my mind. In a matter of seconds, my paws crunched dry leaves under me. I had reached the forest. The trees casted long shadows over the grassy ground, the sun barely able to gleam through the thick treetops.

    It was getting colder as the sun set. The alarms faded into the distance the farther I ran. The rumble of thunder echoed through my eardrums, startling me for a split second. I could hear the twigs cracking under my paws and the feeling of long grass brushing against my shoulders. I hadn't seen the world in so long.

    The cool breeze whistled in my ears as I raced on, the shadows chilling me to the bone. A small raindrop kissed my muzzle and I slightly flinched as another one hit my back, the cold water seeping into my fur. I skidded to a halt, the leaves fluttering everywhere. There were no chatter of birds as they flew above me, or the sound of the treetops swishing as squirrels jumped from them.

    The eerie was silence unnerving me. I stood, relishing my freedom. More drops of rain started falling, hitting my fur. I licked my paws and shoulders, trying to keep dry.

    But before I knew it, it was pouring. I couldn't see literally anything because the rain kept flying into my eyes. I didn't care, though. Mood still sky high, I bent my head down to prevent the pellet-like rain and bolted.

    I pushed against the forest floor, digging my claws into the ground for grip and dodging trees. My fur was soaked to the bone and mud was splashing on my ankles. I hated those people for keeping me from this all my life.

    My stomach fur was sagging and I felt heavy from all the extra weight of the rain. I paused, catching my breath. I glanced around, curious as to where my paws had taken me.

    As I was looking around, an unexpected lightning bolt struck down only inches away from me, a huge CRASH following. I jolted backward, yelping in fear.  I landed on my bottom and scrambled away in shock. A tree was ignited, illuminating the area in orange light. 

   It was quenched with a hiss almost immediately due to the heavy rainfall. I started at the partially charred tree, blinking a couple of times. I could have been that tree! This world was more dangerous than I had thought.

    I eased my breathing, trying to recover from the shock. I gulped and scanned the area, trying my best to avoid getting pelted in the eyes. Trees were everywhere, but due to the setting sun and rain, it was harder to see any farther than a few feet.

    I trudged onward. From what little I could see, something caught my eye. It looked like a small clearing through the gaps of the trees. I dragged myself through the muddy slope.

   I started to trot so I could get to the clearing faster. I was shivering from the cold, my legs numb. I needed to find shelter soon.

    I reached the gap and I could see a vast strip of land that stretched pretty far. A big rock stood in the middle, huge and ancient looking. Water streamed off of it like a waterfall, a large puddle forming beside it.

    I was getting colder by the second. My tail was between my legs as a sign of discomfort.

    I decided to go check the rock out. The wind whipped my fur back and forth, slapping my muzzle and sending chills up my spine. I had only been in the world for what felt like only a few minutes and I had already realized that I hated rain.

    The sun was sinking slowly behind the trees, leaving only weak beams of light to show through the rain.

    I sighed, my breath billowing from my muzzle. I approached the rock. It was bigger than I, about 2 feet taller.