Chapter 3

Zoning out for a minute, I let my senses wander. I didn't realize how much more advanced my hearing was until I heard a hushed conversation going on a few cells down.

"Look, I'm going to escape this horrible place, whether you come with me, or not!" someone whisper yelled. I trembled when I recognized Jeff's voice. They must have fixed him up after the fight. Or at least I thought so.

I scrambled as far as the restraints would let me and pressed my ear against the wall to hear better.

"I can't escape, I've tried one time... I got caught and severe punishments followed." an anonymous voice responded calmly.

My stomach churned. Jeff couldn't possibly be thinking about escaping! He was strong, true, but he wouldn't be able to get far with no weapons.

"WELL THEN WE WONT GET CAUGHT!" Jeff's impatience grew.

"No. I'm sorry. But I have a plan."

"Im listening."

"In the morning, when they unlock your cuffs, make a dash for it. Go for the regular route you take to get to your cage. It'll split and you'll go left. Go down the stairs and take the first right you see. They won't see it coming. Never had an escapist other than me." he sounded slightly proud as he instructed Jeff.

"Hmph.. anything to get me out of here." Jeff sighed.

"Good luck."

An idea popped into my head. Since we were only a few cells away from each other, we probably had the same schedule.

When he escapes everyone's attention will be on Jeff, which gives me a chance to escape as well.

Excitement bubbled in my bones for the first time in what felt like centuries. Finally, I could get out.

But first I needed some rest to be energized for the event. Smirking evilly, I curled up into a ball. I fell asleep thinking about my fangs ripping through my enemy's flesh and listening to their screams.

***

Morning arrived quicker than a blink of an eye. It was only a few minutes ago when I curled up, or that's how I felt.

Immediately millions of emotions rushed in as I remembered the plan. I went over the directions in my head over and over again.

Anxiety, excitement, and fury swirled in my gut. I was escaping. I would always remember it.

I waited patiently in the dark, staring at the door just waiting for it to open. It seemed like forever, which was funny because usually it seemed like only a few seconds.

The sound of a key picking a lock got me jumping to my feet. I looked super excited, so I decided I should probably tone it down and act natural.

So I slumped back down and let my eyelids droop. The door swung open with a loud creak, allowing the dim light to flood into my cell.

Down the hall I heard the creaking of another door opening, must be Jeff's. I snapped my attention back to the person who was about to be my ticket to freedom.

He was a tall man. I scanned him for any weapons and unfortunately he had a shot gun in his belt. I gulped and steeled myself for the events that were about to unfold.

He extended his arm, about to unlock my restraints when a huge CRASH sounded down the hall. Alarmed, the man dropped the keys to the floor, his head whipping in the direction of the sudden noise.