Chapter 51

It had been several days since I made the choice to stay.  The days had passed quickly and although Colin couldn’t keep his hands off of me.  We decided to hold off on consummating our relationship and completing the mating process until we get to know each other.  He knew the facts about my life, but he didn’t know me.  I in turn, knew nothing about him and his past life.  I was gearing up to share with him and the pack a part of myself that I thought I would never be able to face again.

“Are you nervous?” Colin spoke behind me as I peeked through the curtain looking as people were filling up the theater.  I let the curtain go swirling around to Colin.

“A little, it’s my first performance in front an audience since New York.”

“Baby you are going to do great.”  Colin gave me a reassuring hug and a kiss on the forehead.  “I’m going to take my seat.  I will be front and center cheering you on!”

“Thanks.” I took my seat behind the piano and nodded at Alex to open the curtains.  She gave me a wink and I returned it with a smile.  Blowing out my last air of apprehension before facing the large audience, I poised my fingers over the keys. I leaned in to the microphone that was placed top of the piano.

“Hello everyone, I want to thank you all for coming out to listen to me play. Here we go.” My eyes rested on the first notes of the sheet music and my fingers flew over the keys.  I started off with one of my favorite composer, Bogdan Ota, to capture the audience. All my fears vanished once I started to play.  The crowd disappeared as I delve into familiar territory, music.  Music, my long, lost love.  I felt the presence of my parents with me as I played Harald’s Dream, one of the pieces my mom loved to hear me play.

It was a beautiful piece, and then I transition into some classics such as, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky, then threw in a couple of songs the kids were familiar with, and ending with Lacrimosa. Hitting the last few notes, it took a few seconds for me to transport myself back into the theater and at first the quiet was a little disconcerting.  I face the silent audience and stood to signal that my performance was done. The room ruptured with applauds, whistles, and catcalls and it was the best standing ovation I could receive because it came from my new family.

Colin rushed the stage with long stemmed red roses and tears of happiness spilled over as I nearly crushed them while throwing my arms around him.

“You were wonderful!” Colin whispered in my ear.

“Thank you.” I responded.  We broke apart when Vicki came on stage with a microphone to address the pack.

“Simmer down everybody.  First I want to say, Celeste you have blown us away with your music.  It was moving, entertaining and your performance made some of us fans of classical music. Now I would like for my husband to join us on the stage, because I have a little treat for our leaders.  I know that some of you were unable to witness the lengths that our alpha and beta will do for our pack.  So without ado please enjoy.”  Vicki had motion for us to leave the stage to the empty seats in the front row.

We sat and watched a large projection screen cascade down from the ceiling and all the lights were dimmed.  The screen came alive with Colin and Dylan standing outside near the garage.

“No.” Dylan screamed.  “There is no way you can make me do it.”  Dylan stood glaring at the camera (us) with his arms crossed.  Colin was looking off to the side at something that was out of camera view shaking his head. We could hear Vicki voice, and it was apparent she was the one filming the video.

“Come on sweetie, you lost the bet.  You can’t disappoint the pack.” Vicki’s voice was saturated with sweetness as she tried to get Dylan to agree.