Wistful ♤

Vienna, Austria

•Seokjin•

"Your highness a new information was gathered. The investigators are here."

I stared at my father's adviser as he politely approached us while having dinner. Mommy didn't mind his presence...not that I'm new to this scenario... but I guess, she herself lost hope of something she used to be so eager about. Sullen eyes fixated on the wall where our huge wall-sized family portrait hung so elegantly yet sadly outdated. Even though we had new ones, mummy and daddy wanted this particular one to remain displayed. As this was the only memory we had of the other little monarch we lost years ago.

Seo-Ah

My father excused himself and followed his adviser while I watched my mother with high hopes of hearing some good news. I held her cold hand and without gracing me a glance, she sadly smiled and sighed;

"Mummy...please have some of your soup. The governess said you haven't had breakfast nor dinner."

She sighed and gently gripped my hands;

"Don't worry, I will..."

There wasn't a single time when I've seen my mother in such a gleeful state. I grew up without even having a single memory of her playing with me under the glorious summer sunshine. It was always daddy.

My first piano recital, only daddy showed up.

My first painting, school achievements, even monarchial appearances, instead of his princess, I was beside him most of the time. At a very young age, I learned how to socialize with our kind. I was praised but my father was partly criticised. The monarchs thought of him and someone who prioritized my royal standing however common people found my early royal compliance to be odd as I started attending to my obligations at the age of 8. No one forced me to do it, I volunteered... because every single day I wonder...if mummy will ever leave the 4 corners of her room. She only comes down during meals but most of the time, she never comes out. With that sight, I realized...one day daddy will get tired and I will be Crown Prince. They both need me to look after them so I needed to learn at a very young age.

It was a choice I made.

"Krystofer,"

I was startled as my father's voice in an elated mood echoed through the walls of our huge dining area, which both scared and excite me. He always adressed me in my other name as how I'm known in Austria.

"Dad.."

He paced across the huge room and embraced my mom whose eyes was still nonchalantly fixed on one place.

"We have news. Apparently she might be in China! She's alive... she's alive! Thomas will leave tomorrow to confirm. For years we prayed for this!..."

I didn't know what to say...