Shanelle took a deep breath and let it out slowly after she took a big gulp of her drink. "It all started earlier when he and I went out to dinner."

"Where are we going? It's been a while since went out," Shanelle asked, as she put on her seatbelt. She couldn't help but smile. She thought that maybe God had finally answered her prayers by changing Roderick's ugly ways.
Roderick just looked over at her and smiled as he put the car in reverse and drove off.

After a few minutes, they pulled up to a nice restaurant called French's. When they got out, Roderick actually held her hand and led her into the crowded place. Shanelle was absolutely blown away by Roderick's affectionate behavior. It was what she'd been hoping and praying for for a long time. Just maybe God was answering her prayers.

"Wow this place is nice," Shanelle said, as she looked around the beautifully decorated eatery.

A hostess showed up a short time later and showed them to their seats. As the waitress showed them to their seats, Roderick continued to hold her hand, unlike when he'd see a cute girl walking by and drop her hand like a bad habit. When Shanelle looked up at him, he just gave her a dimpled smile and pulled her chair out for her before he took his seat across from her.

After the hostess walked away with assurance that their waitress would be with them momentarily, Roderick just nodded and smiled. Sure enough a few moments later, a perky waitress came to their table with a bright smile and tight blouse giving Roderick a flirtatious smile.

"Good evening sir, what can I get you and your date to drink? Would you like to try our signature wine or would you prefer a different beverage this evening?"

Roderick just grinned and told her that he wanted a bottle of their best wine for the table to have for dinner but wanted glasses of water for himself and Shanelle before dismissing her for a few minutes to look over the menu.

"What's the special occasion? You aren't buttering me up for anything, are you?" Shanelle asked once the waitress was gone.

"Don't worry so much, Shan. You'll see here in a little bit. Relax. Let's just enjoy this time together, shall we?"

"Sounds great," Shanelle replied with a smile. She was so happy to finally have her old Roderick back she didn't know what to do with herself.

Shanelle looked across the table at Roderick for a few moments longer before she picked up her menu to select her dinner for the night. There was just something about him that seemed a bit off. He was up to something. When the waitress came back with their drinks, Roderick gave her their meal choices for the night before sending her on her merry little way.

Roderick and Shanelle made small talk about what was going on with Roderick and his job. He informed her that he'd gotten the promotion he'd been so sure he'd lost just days before and what his job tittle entailed.

"So is that what we're celebrating tonight?" Shanelle asked with a bright smile.

Roderick just grinned once again and told her that it was a surprise. She shook her head with a smile and stood up from the table. "I'm going to go to the little girl's room. Be back in a few minutes."

Roderick stood and watched as Shanelle headed towards the back of the restaurant before he took his seat and waited for her to return.
*
Shanelle had just walked out of the ladies stall to wash her hands before she headed back out to Roderick. As she washed her hands she heard someone walk into the bathroom, when she looked into the mirror she saw the woman that she'd seen Roderick with just days before. She frowned slightly as she reached for a paper towel to dry her hands.