38 | truths and delusions

ابدأ من البداية

She cries out and stumbles back cradling her cheek. Not a single thought courses through Jared's mind and he lurches forward.

"Don't," Vincent hisses and shoves the gun towards Jared. "Unless all of you want to fucking die, everyone stay where you are!" His voice booms through the room, shattering the air into an eerie silence.

Vivian is sobbing and shaking as she holds her bruising cheek. Every muscle in Jared's body is screaming to go to her, but the remaining parts of his rational mind knows being dead is not going to help.

"Now" — Vincent lowers his gun — "I am not a fan of these stupid things. They're so quick and not very personal. I don't feel like I'm the one causing pain, but" — he points the weapon lazily — "I don't know you and I don't want to take any chances." He peers at Jared over his nose.

"Though you don't seem to be anything like Ashton." He laughs and glances over Jared's head like grasping onto a fond memory. "The day I met Ashton, he lunged at me and wrapped his fingers around my throat, determined to choke me to death for touching Vivian." His shoulders shake with amusement. "I never knew such anger could reside in a mere sixteen-year-old boy, but I knew he was special from that moment on."

Vincent returns his gaze to Jared, sizing him up and taking in the way his body shakes and how his eyes keep flicking to Vivian by his side. "You're far from an Ashton." He sounds almost disappointed by this. "You seem weak. Strong heart? Maybe. Still weak."

"Jared is a stronger man than you'll ever be," Vivian spits.

Her brother's eyes light up. He turns on his heel and focuses on her again. "Oh, Vivian. I've missed hearing your voice." He reaches over and tilts her chin up, exposing the red welt growing on her cheek. "Hearing your cries and screams echo down the halls throughout the night. The mansion is so quiet without you, you know? I can't wait to take you back home."

Her lips quiver at the thought and she shakes her head. "I'm not going anywhere with you!"

"I hate to break it to you," he sneers, "but you really don't have a choice." Vincent drops his hand and glances over to Jared then back at Vivian. He cracks a smile and strokes his smooth jawline. "You two must be lovers, right?"

Silence.

Vincent rolls his eyes. "I hate being fucking ignored!" He presses the barrel of his gun into Vivian's head, striking white-hot fear in Jared's soul. "Do you love this girl? Yes or no?" he barks.

"Y-yes!" Jared staggers forward. "Please don't hurt her."

A dark chuckle falls from his lips and he drags his tongue over them. "Vivian Menshikov at it again. Somehow always managing to get people to care about her. Always clinging on to every man she can." Vincent taps his gun against her stomach. "You didn't get her pregnant, did you? I would hate to have to kill another one of her children."

Vivian chokes out a sob and holds her stomach.

Jared looks at her in shock. "W-what?"

"Oh? Did she not tell you about all the horrors I've put her through?" Vincent shoves his weapon into the holster on his hip and folds his arms across his chest. "Well, this is going to be fun. Relax, Jared. I am about to tell you the story of Vivian Menshikov."

"Vincent, don't," she sobs.

"You see, I simply could not let Vivian be the first one to have a child in this family. Her child would have been the heir to my business. Plus, there was no way in hell I'd be letting Ashton's bloodline ruin mine like that. So," he chuckles, "I beat her until she miscarried."