Ch. 6: Monsters Among Us

"There was a time we believed monsters to exist just as myths. Legends. Tales of the unimaginable. And when Godzilla attacked Livingston on that hot summer day in June of twenty twenty-one, that is when we learned that this world never belonged to us. And ever since that day, our views of our world have been forever changed. Maybe, instead of thinking about what we can do, we should think about what we can't do." Spoke on the TV, David Handel.

"Are we supposed to just sit back and watch as Godzilla continues to destroy what is left of our world and populations? There has to be something that can be done. Mechagodzilla is reportedly almost done. Well... how long is almost, exactly?" Said Connor Joseph on the talk channel.

"Hello Jericho nation. I'm Jericho Hoffman and today we have a very special guest here tonight. Please welcome monster biologist and expert, Tyler Carson." The audience clapped for the man sitting next to Jericho. "Thanks for having me, Jericho." Tyler said. "It's our pleasure." Jericho said. "So tell me, Tyler. What kind of monsters have we seen throughout our lifetime?" Hoffman questioned.

"Over the years, we've seen many monsters come and go. As we all know, the unfortunate killer of world famous journalist Lauren Graham was Titanosaurus. That was when this whole thing began. After that, many more monsters started to appear. Like Rodan for example, who attacked my home city of Livingston. My wife's parents were sadly killed during Rodan's fight against Godzilla there." Tyler said.

"What if Mechagodzilla is actually something we need to worry about? Maybe it isn't being built to protect us, but more so is being built to threaten us." Internet personality, Cora Lane said.

"A good point about the Mechagodzilla was made last weekend. And that is about the bio-robot being a threat instead of a protecter. But we have to remember what the G-Force's intention is with this project is that maybe it's not a protecting or threatening thing. Maybe they're just a group of people who are trying to do the right thing here." Radio host John Fredrick said.

"Just look at all the life forms that made themselves known throughout the decade. In the twenties, the first monster known to man came to us when it attacked Livingston. Then the supposed "Four-Legged Guardians" made their appearance. Since then, we've seen so many other giant beings. Don't you see what's happening here? It was all leading to this. We just didn't see it coming..." Heather Johnson said.

"With all the controversy about Mechagodzilla going around, what do you think? As a biologist on monsters, should the Mechagodzilla be built?" Jericho asked. "It all depends on what they actually plan to do with it. And how it will be executed." Tyler responded. "Or what about this. Should this be our world or... do you think that it should even be remotely possible that monsters walk among us here on our world?" Jericho questioned. "That's the thing here, Hoffman..." Tyler said.

"They do." He said.

Brian sighed as the show went to commercial break. His phone vibrated in his pocket and he took it out and saw that it was Tazz. He answered the call and pressed his phone to his ear. "Hey." Brian greeted. "Hey man. I got some good news." Tazz said. "I'm still at the base here. They say it will only be a few more weeks 'till Mechagodzilla is finished." He said. Brian sat forward, eyes widen in surprise. "Wait, really?" He said. "Yeah! If we put everything we can into it, Mechagodzilla might even be done in two weeks!" Tazz said. "That's awesome!" Brian said. "Man, that's really good news." He added.

"I know. Tomorrow, being your A game because we will get this thing done." Tazz said. "The main thing we have to do now is make sure everything is put together and the programming." He told Brian. "Okay, that sounds good. Thanks for letting me know Tazz." Brian said. "No problem. We in this together." Tazz said. Once the call was ended, Brian sat back and sighed happily. This was very good news. And Brian was happy to hear it.

Maria walked into the living room and saw her husband looked happier than usual. "You look happy." She said as she sat down. "Just got the word that Mechagodzilla is almost finished. Give it a few more weeks, possibly two, and it will be done." He said. "Really? That's really good!" Maria replied. "Oh my god, that's really good!" She said. Brian smiled. "I know." He said. "I'm proud of you, Brian." Maria said. "I know you will get this done." She said. "Thanks, Maria. That's what I need to hear." Brian told her. Maria smiled and pressed a kiss to her husbands cheek and watched TV with him.

In the late hours of the day, Brian was brushing his teeth. Maria called out from their room, "Hey honey, look at this." Brian spit his tooth paste out and went to see what his wife was talking about. She aimed the remote at the TV and turned it up. And there, Godzilla roared triumphantly as it claimed another city. Brian put his hands on his hips and sighed.

"The G-Force is full of shit!"

"Fuck the G-Force!"

Multiple voices spoke from the TV. Maria looked at her husband, looking concerned. Brian met his wife's eyes before another shot of Godzilla appeared on the TV. Godzilla swam away and disappeared into the ocean. Maria turned it down and looked at her husband. Brian let out another sigh and sat on the bed. Maria came up from behind him and wrapped him into her arms. She held him tightly in her embrace and kissed his cheek. "How many more lives are going to be taken before we finish, Maria? How many more?" Brian said. "Hopefully no more. But I keep telling you Brian. It is not your fault. You can't control what a monster does." She said.

"Godzilla doesn't care about us. All it ever did and does is take and destroy. Whether that be cities or families, Godzilla took it all from everyone. But when Mechagodzilla is out there, I know justice will finally be brought to Godzilla. After that, the world will finally be restored." Maria said. "I don't know, Maria. Everyday it feels like we're getting nothing done." Brian said. "I know... but just keep thinking about the families that need you, Brian. Think about me. We all need you." She said. "Use that to your advantage. Use that motivation to get Mechagodzilla done. I know you can." Maria said.

"Don't let Godzilla win." Maria told him.

"You're right... I won't let Godzilla win." Brian said. "Godzilla is going to pay for all that it has taken. It took Joslyn away from us, and so many others lost someone. It's time that changed. Godzilla will be brought down if it's the last thing I do." Brian said. "And you hold onto that courage." Maria said, squeezing her arms tighter lovingly. "You prove to everyone that you had the strength to put Mechagodzilla together." She said. "I will." Brian muttered. Maria smiled and kissed her husband neck.

"Good..." She said.