Ch. 2: The Significant Other

After getting out of his gear and putting his own clothes back on, Brian went out to his vehicle and went home for the day. Since he was a member of G-Force, the organization provided a home for him and his wife. Better then the ones in the city due to being under martial law. But that didn't mean there still wasn't traffic and people to worry about. It normally took about half an hour to an hour with the traffic. But he would eventually get home.

After about forty-five minutes, Brian made it to his house. He shut his vehicle off and left the car. Before he entered the house, Brian looked out into the distance. Reflecting how bad times have gotten. He sighed and sat down on the concrete steps. Laying his arms on his thighs.

The door opened behind him and out came his wife, Maria O'Neal. She sat down beside Brian and wrapped her arm around his neck. "Why didn't you come inside?" She questioned. "Just thinking about all that happened." He told her. "And... Joslyn." Brian said.

Joslyn O'Neal. The daughter of Brian and Maria. She was tragically killed during one of the monsters' raids. That was also one of the influences to join the G-Force to take the battle to the monsters and Godzilla.

Maria frowned and wrapped her arms around her husband and hugged him. Brian leaned into his wife and sighed. Resting his head in the crook of her neck. "I miss her, too..." Maria said softly, nearly whispering. She gently stroked Brian's arm. "I dreamed about her last night." Maria told him. "Did she say anything?" Brian asked. Maria shook her head. "I can't remember." She said. "But it was peaceful." Maria said. Brian nodded. "I just wish she was here." He muttered. "I know..." Maria whispered. She pressed a kiss to his head and said, "Let's head inside." Brian replied, "Okay." The couple stood up and walked inside.

Brian shut the door behind them and kicked his shoes off.

"You want anything to eat?" Maria asked. "No thanks." He said. "Okay. Just tell me when you need something." She told him. He nodded and approached the couch and flopped down. He ran his hand through his hair and sighed. He reached over to the coffee table in front of him and grabbed the remote. He sat back and turned on the TV.

A while later, Brian was doing push ups while the TV was on. In order to have the strength to do the work on Mechagodzilla, all of the workers had to be in good shape and healthy. Luckily, Brian's managed to maintain a healthy diet and works out frequently. Having tired out his arms, Brian pushed himself off the floor and stood up. He was slightly taken off gaurd when he saw his wife standing there. She eyed down at his abs with a smirk on her face.

"Mmmm, my man looks good." She muttered and approached him. He smiled and said, "Like I didn't before?" Maria pressed her hand against his chest and gently ran her hand down his abs. "I never said you didn't." She said and kissed his neck. Brian felt his wife's hands explore his bare back as she kissed him.

A few minutes later, Maria's head lied on Brian's lap. He lightly stroked her hair as they spoke. "Do you think we should try for another kid someday?" She questioned. Which caught Brian off gaurd. "Why? Do you want to?" He asked. Maria shrugged her shoulders. "It crosses my mind sometimes." She said. Brian pushed her hair behind her ear. "I just... don't want to forget her." Maria told him. "Joslyn?" He questioned. "Mm-hm..." She replied quietly.

"But... do you think we'll have another kid someday?" She asked. "I don't know, Maria. Maybe someday." He said. Which definitely wasn't the answer Maria was hoping for. She sighed and frowned. Brian noticed his wife's change in mood and sighed. "I'm sorry..." He muttered. "I know you want a kid again. I'd like to have one, too." He told her. "But, do you think we can really lose another?" He asked. "You make it sound like it was our fault." Maria said. "No, I don't mean for it to sound like that." Brian assured. "I just want to know if we can handle losing another kid." He said. Maria sighed. "Maybe. I don't know." She said.

"We also have to remember that times are different. Joslyn grew up in a much easier time. This new child wouldn't." Brian said.

"You make a good point." Maria replied.

"You know? It's harder to get kids in schools, they don't learn as much. Especially since the streets out there aren't the safest as they used to be." Brian said. "As mush as I want a kid, we also have to think if we're ready to handle that kind of stress. Especially in today's times where things aren't so easy anymore." He said. "I know. You're right, hon." Maria said. "But if you really want a kid, we can try someday. But right now, with Mechagodzilla and the G-Force..." Brian said. Maria nodded. "But I promise. One day, we will have a kid again." Brian assured. Maria smiled at him and wrapped her arms around his neck. "Come here." She said and they kissed lovingly.

A few hours later, it was time to head to bed for the day.

Brian was in the washroom brushing his teeth. As he brushed his teeth, he reflected on how he and his wife had to move when the G-Force recruited him to the nation. And how hard the move was on both him and his wife. Especially since the death of their daughter was still a fresh wound. There were times where he just wanted to give up. But it was his passion to get rid of the monsters that kept him moving forward. But it still sometimes crosses his mind as to what's happened to their old house since then. It was no doubtly broken into.

He washed his mouth with water and spit in the sink. He put his toothbrush away and left the washroom. Maria laid down onto the bed with her head resting on her hand. The other moving up and down in a slow rhythm on her stomach. Brian approached the bed and lied next to his wife. Maria scooted closer to him and laid her head on his chest. Listening to his heartbeat. Brian's arm looped around her neck and held her hand.

"Whatever happens, Maria. I hope you know that I love you so much." Brian told her. "Yeah, I know." Maria said as she cuddled closer to him. "But I hope nothing happens to us." She said as she wrapped her arms around Brian's torso. He held her tightly and kissed her head. "I promise you." He said.

"Nothing won't..." Brian assured.