Chapter 1

------------ Chapter 1 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I lie on the plush bed Aro has so kindly arranged for me.

The guards leave me alone for the most part. They don't particularly like the fact that I'm one of them now, but it isn't their decision anyway.

"Brother, I don't understand why you keep the boy," Caius spits loud enough for me to hear. I keep my eyes tightly shut, pretending to be asleep.

"Brother, if only you knew the half of it," Aro murmurs cryptically. "The boy is strong. You saw him bear Jane's exceptional gift, nothing more than a gentle moan...and if nothing more, he would be extremely interesting to study. His mother is a vampire-human cross, and his father is a shape-shifter," Aro continues, his voice taking on a speculative tone.

"What is it the boy can do?!" Caius asks, utterly irritated at this point. I try my hardest not to snicker.

"Let him wake up. I'm sure he'll be more than willing to put on a performance," Aro murmurs. "But I can tell you this brother, this boy could be more powerful than all of us combined," his voice suddenly sombre.

I hear Caius scoff at that, so too does Jane. Jane knows that she and her brother are the Volturi's most prized possession...until now.

I sit up, deciding to get it over with as soon as possible.

"Ah! He's awake! Come here, Henry my boy," Aro coos, as if I'm a baby, I roll my eyes but walk up to him.

I have to admit, Aro has been nothing but delightfully pleasant the past few days.

"What do you wish, Aro?" I ask. I haven't gotten to the point of devotion where I would call him master just yet. I can feel my loyalty shifting from my family, to the Volturi. It isn't voluntary, but there's nothing I can do to stop it. It's as if my ties are being severed, and somehow my bond towards the Volturi seems inexplicably stronger.

I need to figure out who is using this ability and how this ability works. It might serve to be useful in the future.

I've completely figured out Jane's ability and Alec's. Childs play, actually. Renata's ability has been tricky, but I think I can use it fairly well. However, Aro's ability has got to be my favourite. It reminds me of Edward, and it keeps my mind on my family.

It's as if my mind doesn't want to think about my family. It's insane, I know. But it's become harder and harder to think of them. Not even the mention of the word Tanya excites me anymore. I'm grasping at straws here! It's like I'm fighting myself.

"My dear, Caius would like to see your power," Aro croons.

I smirk and turn to face Caius. Time to teach him some respect...

"No, my dear. Not on Caius," Aro smiles. I groan under my breath...so close! "Jane, dear? Would you be so kind?" Aro asks, though it's more of a command.

Jane steps forward, smirking broadly. "Of course, master," she calls out in her bell-like baby voice. I grimace and crouch down, grinning.

Jane has no clue what my power is. Nobody knows except for Aro. Looks like he thinks it's time for everyone to know.

"I'll try to go easy on you, witch," I chortle.

She snarls at me, unleashed fury in her eyes. I smile. Jane may be fast, but I'm faster.

Before she finishes her gloating, I have her on the floor, screaming out in pain. I straighten up, smiling wide.

"Oh...are you alright, Jane? I hope I'm not hurting you too bad," I gloat, standing over her.