The Dream

Izumi Midoriya and Katsuki Bakugo had been childhood friends. She like many others admired him for his natural bravery, toughness and of course his amazing explosive quirk. When she'd first seen it her eyes had gone bright as stars and she leaned in close to admire the pretty fireworks pop in his hand.

"You're so lucky, Kacchan. When I get my quirk I hope it's as bright as yours." She said beaming a smile at him as they walked side by side to catch butterflies.

"Won't matter what you get. Nothing is better than mine!" He boasted proudly puffing out his chest. "One day I'm gonna have my own agency and lots of people are gonna wanna be MY sidekicks."

"I'll definitely be one!" She smiled pumping her fists. "I'll become a hero too and I can join your agency."

"Sure, why not?"

"Really?" She grabbed his arm laughing. "You promise, Kacchan?"

"It's a promise, Midori."

Midori, it was an affectionate nickname he'd given her when they'd first met... but he rarely called her that anymore.  Looking back on it, Bakugo wondered if he had jinxed it from the start.

 Not two day later he walked into class to find Izumi crying and surrounded by the other students. The teachers were doing their best to comfort her, but the laughs and pitying voices of the others kids just urged the tears on more.

When those tear filled eyes found his in the crowd her cute face crinkled up and she broke through the crowd of kids to hug him.

"Kacchan! Kacchan tell them! I can be a hero even without a quirk!"

"Calm down, Midori. What are you talki-" then it hit him. "You're quirkless?"

"That's right!" One of the other kids snickered. "Isn't it pathetic."

"It is not!" Her bottom lip trembled. "Sensei, tell them! Tell them I can become a hero."

"Now, Now, Midoriya-chan. A hero's job is dangerous without a quirk. I'm sure there's something else you can do. Something special that only Midoriya-chan can do." The teacher tried to comfort with realistic choices, but at four years old all Izumi could think was that her dream and her promise to Bakugo was shattering at her feet.

She continued to cry about it later even on the playground. She made a little sand castle as Bakugo shouted to his other friends. He glanced over his shoulder at her and gave a loud sigh crouching down in front of her.

He wished she wouldn't make that face, all pouty and trembling, her curly pigtails hanging loose like drooping ears. 

"Tch, how long you gonna cry over it, Midori? You're quirkless, get over it."

"B-But Kacchan..." Izumi sniffed her big green eyes meeting his. "What about our promise?"

"We only made a promise that if you become a hero I'd take you on as a side kick. Since you're not gonna be a hero the promise doesn't exist." He stood up and put his hands on his hips. "Geez you made such a scene, cowering in a corner like a scared little rabbit. Baka Usagi."

"Bakugo! Let's start the game already! I wanna go on an adventure!" One of the boys said.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming!" He shouted over his shoulder.

"C-Can I go? I wanna play!" Izumi got to her feet even as the boys laughed.

"A quirkless cry baby like you can't play hero agency."

Bakugo sighed in agitation as he saw Izumi's face crinkle up again. He thought about it and then slapped his fist into his palm. The small explosion that emitted had Izumi squeaking in surprise.