Upsetting Loss

As the buzzer sounds, you look down to the ice and see the luminous faces of the Finnish players who were victorious, looking past them you see the defeat in the American player's eyes. You focus on Jack. Jack's face immediately fills with sadness, as does yours.

You feel a soft touch on your shoulder, looking to your left, your eyes meet Jack's moms. With the same expression on both of your faces, both of your eyes return to the ice.

Shaking hands with the Finnish players and enduring the medal ceremony, the American boys quickly leave the ice surface. Soon after, you, followed by Jack's brother, Luke, and his parents, Ellen and Jim, you all exit the arena and proceed to the family waiting area. After what felt like forever, Quinn, Jack's older brother, appears, giving hugs to all 4 of you. You all express how proud you are.

"Where's Jack?" Jim asks.

"He said he'll meet us back at the hotel, didn't want to keep you guys waiting." Quinn answers.

The 5 of you walk out to the car and drive back to the hotel. Upon arrival at the hotel, Luke, Jim, and Ellen part ways from you and Quinn. You follow Quinn back to his and Jack's room.

"I'm gonna hop in the shower, Jack should be back soon." Quinn says while walking into the washroom.

After about 5 minutes of Quinn being in the shower, you hear the door open. Jack walks through. You immediately give him a hug.

"I'm proud of you." You say.

"I know, but I wish we could've won, I wanted to win for you." Jack replies.

"Win or lose, I'm still proud of you. I know you played your heart out, just like your teammates. Don't worry about winning for me, I'm still proud." You say.

Jack doesn't answer.

"Do you wanna talk about the game?" You ask.

"Not right now, if that's okay." Jack answers

Jack walks over to the bed and lies down.

"Come here." Jack exclaims.

You walk over to the bed and lie down beside Jack. He puts his head on your stomach and you play with his hair.

Quinn comes out of the washroom. He looks at you guys lying on the bed. Jack gives him the look basically asking him to leave.
"I'll go to mom and dads room so you guys can be alone" He says.

After Quinn leaves, you and Jack just sit in silence for a couple minutes. You look down and Jack's face still looks extremely sad.

"Hey, look at me." Jack looks.
"You played your heart out this whole tournament, you deserved it more. But you can't win them all." Jacks mouth tugging at a smile.

Finally smiling, you give him a kiss. You pull away, and he bats his eyes at you. You give him another kiss.

"You should go see your parents." You suggest.

"Yeah, I just want to shower first, then we'll go." Jack says.

"Okay." I say as Jack moves towards the washroom.

As Jack is in the shower, you change into comfier clothing. Throwing on one of Jack's USA hoodies and some leggings.

A couple minutes later, Jack appears in the room. Looking at you,

"Can I have my sweater back?" He says jokingly.

"Nope!" You say, as he pulls you in for a hug.

Jack gets dressed, throwing on some joggers and a long sleeve.
"Ready?" He asks.

You walk towards the doorway and down the hall way to his parents room. When you walk in, Ellen immediately gives Jack a hug and expresses how proud she is. While Jack talks with his parents, you go over and sit with Luke and Quinn. After a while, Ellen suggests we go for ice cream.

"Let's go everybody." Jim says.

You spend the rest of your night laughing and having a good time with the Hughes' family.