"Adrian?" I blinked slowly. Why was he here instead of you?

"Hey." He waved. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked slightly confused. "Where's Noah?"

He grimaced, avoiding eye contact with me. "Um... he couldn't make it."

"What do you mean?"

"Violet... h-he tried so hard for you... but-"

"Adrian, what do you mean?" I probed cutting him off.

"I-I can't say." He looked away, sucking in a big gulp of air. "But maybe Noah can tell you."

"Huh?"

"Here," he said pulling out an envelope from his back pocket. "He wanted you to read this."

Grabbing it, I teared the envelope apart, as my eyes landed on your neat handwriting. 

Dear Violet,

You're probably wondering why Adrian is meeting you instead of me. The truth?

I'd been lying to you this whole time - not the part about me loving you though. That was never a lie. I guess I should start from the beginning.

Remember that time when I told you I was leaving Facebook? Adrian probably told you I was busy with school or with work or something - but that wasn't true. I was in the hospital.

I got better though, that's why I was able to leave. At that point I realized life's too short. So I finally got the courage to ask you out.

You have no idea how happy I was when you said yes. I was finally able to enjoy life again, but sadly that didn't last too long. About two weeks ago, I was rushed towards the hospital again. This time, I didn't get the good news I was hoping for.  

They said I wouldn't live past my birthday. 

I knew you were freaking out when I didn't answer you back. You'd probably thought I was ignoring you or something right? That's why I knew you would eventually ask Adrian about it. So I made him promise me - that he would never ever tell you where I was. So don't blame him for lying to you - blame me. 

Adrian did what you said and found me that afternoon. He begged me to tell you, but I just couldn't. I didn't want you to know. I didn't want you to get hurt. But being him, he wanted me to at least talk to you, so I did. I sent you that email. 

I knew I shouldn't have said anything about my health, but the damage was done. So I switched the topic to your birthday. When I told you we could meet, I knew I was making a promise that I couldn't keep, but I kept on praying, praying to God that I would make it until then. If you're reading this letter now, that means I didn't make it. 

You're probably crying by now. You were always a big softy, but please be strong for me. Even though I'm not here with you anymore, that doesn't mean I'm not watching over you. Every time you listen to 'Ti Amo' just know I'm listening with you. Every time you cry just know you're  breaking my heart all over again, so please smile for me? Be the strong girl I know you are. 

Before I end this letter, please promise me one thing. Let me go and move on. I don't want you hurting. Even though you're not mine anymore, at least you're happy. If you're happy, I'm happy. 

So with this, goodbye Violet, I will forever love you. 

Love,

Noah. 

Suddenly a pair of strong arms surrounded me, engulfing me in a tight embrace. 

"Please don't cry," Adrian begged. His voice sounded like he was on the verge of tears as well. "Don't cry..."

I didn't even realized I was crying, until I felt the hot, salty tears rolling down my cheeks one by one. They landed on Adrian's shirt, disappearing, creating a small stain. His hands rubbed circles around my back, trying to comfort me, as he whispered, "It's gonna be okay." 

But it wasn't, it's never going to be okay.  

"I-I how?" I managed to choked out, blinking some tears away. 

"He had valvular heart disease," he said softly, afraid I would snap any second. "He passed away two days ago."

Hearing the words 'passed away' did it. 

"No... he's fine! I know he is!" I screeched out, pushing him away from me. "This is all a sick joke! He can't be..." I paused, choking back a sob, "gone."

"I'm sorry." He took a step forward, reaching for me, when I took a step back. His eyes flashed hurt. "It's true."

"No, it's not!"

It's not true... it's not true... it can't be true!

That was the last time I saw Adrian, or anyone else for that matter. I refused to do anything- well that was until Adrian decided enough was enough.

Love,

Violet