|| Chapter 13 ||

TW: disordered eating, depressed thoughts, mild abuse.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He didn't want to do this.

He couldn't be doing this.

Yet here Alex was, with his head hanging in the toilet for the third time this week.

He leaned forward and retched again, bile burning his throat.

"Alex?"

Shit.

Laf's voice sounded concerned, worry laced with hesitancy.

Alex got to his feet and wiped his mouth, then opened the stall door and stepped out. He knew he looked like shit- flushed face, watering eyes, dark shadows underneath his eyes.

"I'm fine," Alex muttered, and began washing his hands. "I've just been feeling crappy for the past few days, and today I just felt really nauseous.."

He trailed off as Laf's eyes narrowed.

He didn't believe him.

"Don't tell John," Alex said quietly.

Laf frowned and opened his mouth, but Alex cut him off before he could say anything.

"Please, Laf. He has enough to worry about right now."

Laf seemed torn. He watched Alex carefully before sighing. "I won't tell John." Alex visibly relaxed. "Yet."

Now it was Alex who was watching.

Laf thought for a second before holding his hand out. "Give me your phone."

Alex dug into his pocket and unlocked his phone, then handed it to Laf, who typed something in before giving it back.

"There. I put my number in." Alex looked at him curiously.

"Next time you feel like this...call me. We can do something. D'accord?"

Alex slowy nodded. "Thanks."

They walked back to the commons, both silent. Alex sat down at the table and pulled out a granola bar out of his bag, obediently taking a bite. He could feel Laf's eyes on him, carefully watching out of the corner of his eye.

Alex finished his bar and cracked open his History textbook, keeping his eyes on the words instead of looking up at his friends.

The words were slightly blurry, and his throat was still burning a little bit. He stared at the paragraph for a bit before turning the page, trying to appear normal.

Everyone was studying, since midterms were bearing down on them, like a fire-breathing dragon ready to pounce.

Thanksgiving break started tomorrow-kicking off with John flying back to South Carolina. He was not looking forward to it...

"Just don't go," Alex had said, and John turned around. His suitcase was open on his bed, clothes neatly arranged with textbooks on top. "I have to go," he said "If I don't...I just have to go, okay?"

Alex nodded, seeing John's expression. He got up and hugged him. "I'm going to miss you so much."

John wrapped his arms around Alex, "I'm going to miss you too. But it's only for four days."

"Four days is too long."

"It'll be fine," John reassured him, "My grades are good, I'm doing what he wants, and he doesn't know about you."

"About me?"

"That we're dating, Alex."

"Oh, yeah."