Quackers

Our friend Dave grew up in Cornwall and lived with his mother and his siblings. As a pet the family had a duck, which they called 'Quackers.' Quackers was particularly fond of Dave's brother and when he left in the morning to go to school, Quackers was always walking behind him along the pavement. It took Dave's brother quite a time to persuade Quackers to go home. He used to shout at him, 'Go home, Quackers. Go home.' Eventually, the duck would turn round and waddle back home! What a sight that must have been!

Dave was in the garden one day digging and Quackers was right beside him, following him around, putting his beak into the soil to catch any worms which came to the surface. Quite by accident, Dave put the spade down very hard and hit Quackers, splitting his beak in two horizontally. Quackers emitted a very tired sounding 'Quuuaacckk.' The poor thing! Dave was mortified and had to quickly take him inside and tend to him. The beak did mend in time, but there was always a scar to show where the accident happened.

When he was older Quackers had rheumatism which made his feet turn in (pigeon toed!) and the vet suggested they bathe his feet in warm water now and then.  They used to take him inside and put him in a little bath and bathe his feet.  Quackers always enjoyed this and 'quuaacckked' his approval.

I think ducks are among some of the most comical creatures, including penguins and orangutans. All of these make me laugh. Ducks and penguins waddle along, so that's quite comical to watch and orangutans have bright orange hair which stands up on end and that makes them comical, together with their lovely, but very funny faces. I think they're adorable!

January 2019