What a waste!

My husband is in hospital at the moment, nothing too serious and we hope he will be coming home on Monday or Tuesday.  They have fitted a 'stent' (a small tube) into the bile-duct near his liver to alleviate his re-current jaundice.  He is very tired and longing to come home to the peace and quiet!  (Believe it or not the food is award winning and absolutely wonderful - so no complaints there!)

Sorry, I'm rambling.  

Yesterday and my son and I went to the Costa Coffee shop in the main entrance of the super, duper, new hospital which looks like an airport!  We waited whilst they prepared our drinks.  It was about 2.30 pm or 3 pm and they were about to close for the afternoon.  One of the women took a long tray, filled with about twenty croissants and tipped them all into the rubbish bin!  We were horrified!  What a waste of food when people are going hungry.

I am appalled that the hospital is letting this sort of thing go on (perhaps they are not aware of it) so I think I shall be writing a letter.  My son was also appalled.  It's not just a waste of food is it?  It's a waste of transport and other things as well.  We have people in our very 'rich' city who are so poor they have to get food from a food bank.  That in itself is a terrible indictment on my country.  I feel totally ashamed and not a little bit angry, to boot!