Fantasy Bird

FANTASY BIRD

We stopped in at our local petrol station last summer to fill up the car. My husband filled up and went into the shop to pay. Whilst he was filling up, I glanced across at the outside containers. These are quite large and contain items which I suppose are locked up each night, as each one has a padlock. I looked at the one, almost empty, which sold bags of barbecue charcoal and there pacing up and down was the most colourful bird I have ever seen!

It's upper body was a bright burgundy red and it had markings very similar to strawberry pips. It had a curly comb on it's head which was also red. It's wings and lower body were a dark green. I took a good look at the feet and they were definitely pigeon feet. I assumed, therefore, that this pigeon had escaped from an aviary somewhere. But it was more like a bird from a fantasy tale than a real bird.

People were passing by it not noticing it and it just paced up and down and didn't seem at all perturbed, so I assume it was used to human contact.

I hoped that the bird found it's way home. I didn't report this sighting and was not sure how to in any case, but it was quite a surreal experience. If my husband hadn't seen it too, I think I would have thought I was hallucinating!

I have spotted escaped birds before. Once a budgie and once a green Love Bird on our roof, but nothing quite as fantastic as this pigeon. It would certainly make a good candidate for a fantasy tale here on Wattpad!

April 2018

Since writing this I have found out that some people breed Fancy pigeons which have characteristics which normal pigeons don't have.  Some of these Fancy pigeons are pink even, which looks very strange.  I found a picture of a pigeon with a burgundy red head and neck, but the rest of it's body was obscured.  I can only assume that this was a modified breed, probably an expensive bird, which had escaped from it's aviary.  I hope it found it's way home, or was rescued.

There are green pigeons in the wild in some exotic countries.