[Chapter 1]: Arrival

Redwood, sycamore, oak, cypress, maple, and pine trees stood mix-matched upon the surrounding foliage. The varying earthy shades of bark and green leaves were a treat for the eyes of any passerby out on a nature walk. It was a sunny day and the birds were chirping among the leafy branches. Among the refreshing sounds of nature, prominent footsteps resounded in the air.

Kallie carefully scoured over the countless trees as he traversed along the path. The morning light reflected off multiple ear piercings hidden under his long, shaggy blonde locks. A pair of deep blue eyes swept around in search of things that were not there. He expected the park to have many visitors in this lovely weather but was surprised to find it relatively empty.

As he traveled to his destination with a suitcase in tow, Kallie couldn't help feeling that today would not be as good as it appeared. But for now, he was excited. It was finally time for him to move into his new home.

He was ultimately leaving behind the cowards that he once couldn't live without. They believed he was running away but their opinions didn't matter to Kallie anymore. He could go without worrying about their feelings, as he didn't want to think about them anymore. They could no longer judge him as they once pleased. They could no longer abandon him since he would do it first.

Kallie was presently walking towards the center of Greenery Park, where stood the place he was moving into. Greenery was a privately owned park that was partially opened to the general public, as certain places weren't open to visitors. The Black Manor was one such place.

Situated right in the middle of the park, the Black Manor was said to be an abandoned ghost house due to circulating rumors. Most parkgoers avoided the large, almost mansion-like structure surrounded by gloomy air. They blocked out any news related to it, basically ignoring its presence. Even snarky teenagers avoided vandalizing it for the sake of some temporary relief.

While Kallie strolled by, he began to notice the trees were exact copies of each other. Repeating and repeating, over and over. Then, he realized that he was walking in a circle the whole time. He was lost. Eventually, he stopped in an attempt to discern his surroundings.

He tried his luck at a different route and noticed a parking lot on his right, something he hadn't passed before. Pulling out his cell phone, Kallie checked the directions that Trevor, the manor's owner, had texted him prior. This landmark happened to be mentioned. He was getting closer to his destination.

As he trudged forward, a loud thump resounded through the air. It came from inside the little square of concrete surrounded by a metal gate. Further ahead, the gates leading to its interior were wide open.

Kallie silently picked up his suitcase, so it no longer made noise as it was dragged along. He tiptoed to the entrance, glad that the view was blocked by dark material wrapped all around the gates. Ever so slowly, he peeked inside.

"Have they arrived yet? I'm almost home, just parked the car." A voice rang out in the lot void of people. A man wearing khakis and a grey button-up, stood beside an expensive black car, speaking into what he assumed was a phone. Kallie connected the previous sound to him closing his door, as he was walking away from it to pace about.

"No? Good, I don't want some stranger in the house while I'm not there." The man had dark brown hair, cropped close to his head. Kallie wasn't close enough to see the color of his eyes, blocked by wire-rimmed glasses propped upon a straight nose.

"Can't believe Trevor let some sissy-looking bitch into the house. We specifically said no more new people but he didn't listen. Don't worry, he won't last so long as I can help it." He looked angry, but he was smiling. Well, it was more of a sneer than anything. Kallie didn't like it, nor how it made him feel very prickly.