Chapter 49: Passions

The woods were as quiet at they come that morning,  no chirping birds,  nothing,  just the whooshing sound of Aureathria's arrows hitting her tree targets. She took another arrow and aimed down her sight when she heard footsteps.  She stopped and looked around,  to see Kelvin,  coming to join her with a bow in hand .
"did you come to talk or shoot" she asked
"both " Kelvin replied planting his arrows in the ground.
" do you even remember how to shoot an arrow " She asked.
" yea...  You think i can't " he asked
" we'll they say when you join those who sit at the table you forget these things " Aureathria replied.
Kelvin shot  and hit the target at the Centre as she finished speaking.
" well maybe i haven't been at the table long enough then"
"not bad " she said,  aiming down her sight.
She shot and split his arrow in two to hit the target.
" you just had to do that"  he said dropping his arms.

"so you're the princess personal bodyguard or boyfriend? " Aureathria asked knocking another arrow
" what are you talking about " Kelvin replied doing the same
They shot at the same time,  but Aureathria's arrow knocked Kelvin's off and then hit the target.
" c'mon...  I can see the way the she looks at you " Aureathria said
Kelvin looked back to the church and noticed Edda looking expectantly at them,  he felt his heart melt when he saw her  looking cute and well wrapped up in a blanket,  with the winds lifting her loose hair.
" well i guess it's mutual " she said, drawing his attention back  to her
" what? No....  I mean... Not that i don't like her, but...  I"  Kelvin stammered finding it difficult to come up with a suitable excuse.

Silence passed between them for a bit, then Kelvin spoke up
"i really appreciate your accepting me back after my blunders"
"c'mon...  No need for that,  what are friends for " she said shooting another arrow.
" but i do need a favor from you " Kelvin said
" really?.... What's that she asked  turning her attention to him noticing the seriousness in his voice.
"i need you to watch my back out there, you're the only one alive i can trust " Kelvin said
" just like old times? " she asked
" just like old times"  Kelvin acknowledged.
Then they made a signature handshake only they shared.

She aimed at a raven in the sky and followed it till it landed on a cross in the cemetery. Then she dropped her aim,  and her bow into the snow. Kelvin noticed,  looked up at her and traced her gaze and noticed the same thing
"is that" he asked
"yea " she replied
" who dug it open "Kelvin asked
"  i have no idea " she replied running off to the grave side. Kelvin called her to wait,  but she just ran off.
Instantly Kelvin remembered the instruction to burn the remains of the dead. He wasn't sure what the consequences of disobedience was,  but now he had the chance to figure it out.

He beckoned to the others to come over while he went to join her.
Before long,  they were standing over an empty grave, all wearing shocked expressions.
The dead couldn't possibly have gotten out himself, and even if he did,  there were no footprints to say where he went.
Or if his body was stolen, all the tracks were completely covered by the snow the night before.
"of everything I've seen since we got here,  nothing terrifies me like this " Vulcan said
" yea something's terribly wrong with this place" Mia added
"perhaps this is why the natives told us to burn Leo's remains "  Kelvin chipped in.
" if that demon is behind this,  i don't think i want to fight it " Carina admitted,  drawing everyone's attention to herself.
" what? i was just being honest" she said deflecting it back.
"we'll i wouldn't have taken you for a coward with your  build"   Edda replied.
Carina opened her mouth to reply,  but held her peace,  remembering that Edda could ask for her head if she misbehaved.
They all decided to converge back in the hall to discuss the what they had seen,  considering how unsafe it was to be outside with  a walking dead man on the loose.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

                                 King  Rothgar sat upon the the throne in the quiet throne room, pondering over the affairs of the team,  since they had been gone for months,  without a word from them. Normally they would have been declared K.I.A, but the princess was with them, the news wouldn't be received well by the whole of Vrohengard,  and this worried the king.