Chapter 14: Hope for you ✅

Kelvin's eyes popped over the book when he heard the door creak open, Mia tucked her head in, through the slightly open space. Her face lit up with a smile when she saw him, which he courteously reciprocated. She looked around the room to find Rava, but didn't find him.

"can i come in " she asked trying to be as polite as she could.

"yea sure" he said closing the book and dropping it on the bed beside him.

"take a sit." he urged, tapping the edge of the bed.

He sat up against the wall on his bed hinging one leg and letting the other lay flat, while she sat a few spaces away.

"that book seems to really interest you." she said.

"yea, its my father's"
"Your father could write" she asked surprised.
Kelvin seemed puzzled at her question and reaction, and asked " you seem surprised "
"Of course I am Kelvin, I mean writing is for scholars, soldiers, learned people, the likes, you know what I'm talking about, but you're a huntsman, a trade mostly gotten by inheritance I guess..." She said leaving a silence and inquiring stare that revealed she was open to correction, but Kelvin sighed

" It's a little complicated" were the only words that found their way out of his mouth, leaving a solemn silence in it's wake. Mia could feel she had said something wrong and was poised to make amends but Kelvin's response showed he didn't want to go on with that conversation.

" What's it about" she said tilting her head in the direction of the book.

" The thing's he did and saw, I guess" kelvin replied after a heaved sigh.
" So it's more like a tale " she asked
"More of a journal" he replied
"But why are you going through it, he must've told you a lot of those things growing up, just like my father, he taught me everything I know about anything today" she said eagerly
" I didn't know mine" Kelvin whispered back
"Oh..." She gasped, as a sympathetic feeling coupled with guilt grew quickly on her. " I'm sorry, I thought..."
"It's alright kelvin cut in..."
" That explains the reading she muttered inaudibly.
"Is he still alive" she asked
"Hopefully..."
" So...He left before you we're born or after" she asked
" More like after, but I was knee high at the time from what I hear"
" And your mother" she asked
" Never knew her too, " he whispered back
"Wow, that's sad" she sympathized , laying back on the bed. She was curious to know the reason for their absence, who he was left with, but it didn't seem like kelvin was going to talk about it, so she lay there and let the silence pass between them for a moment before she spoke again.
" So you're looking to find him" she asked
" Not really" Kelvin replied

"I noticed you didn't say much, when everyone talked about themselves, is this why"

"that my dear, is because there wasn't much to tell." he replied, politely, but rubbed off on her as a sarcastic response. She swallowed and eyed him, unsure if his response was intentional.

"everyone has things they prefer not to remember, but it's not everything, there's one or two of those moments we all cherish" she said, turning to him.

"i know a number of people who can't relate to such experiences" he replied, with an interested look in his eyes, and it gladdened her heart that he was warming up to her.

Unsure whether to believe him or not, she looked into his eyes with a really interested smile plastered on her face"well i don't believe you huntsman"

Kelvin looked to her with a smile, and noticed her mesmerized look"what was that," he asked
"what"
"why'd you call me that, in that way" he said with a faint chuckle.
"what, you don't like it" she asked.
"that's the worst flirt attempt I've ever seen" he said, half chuckling.
She immediately felt the weight of embarrassment drowning her, and Kelvin felt guilty immediately, as his response had been misinterpreted and had ushered in an atmosphere of awkwardness, so he quickly made amends.
"I wasn't flirting... I just..." she began timidly, but he quickly cut in.
"okay, I think I'm starting to take a liking to you, so tell me, what do you wanna know." he asked reciprocating the warm smile and lowering the book, she yielded surprisingly and eagerly began her questions.