Chapter Seven

Beginne am Anfang

"I asked if you were interested in the prince? Loki, that is." He looked almost nervous, his eyes flicking between mine.

My mouth fell open, really not expecting that to be the question he'd ask. As a boss, Loki was wonderful. He let me talk freely and hadn't threatened me with a single punishment for any of my small mistakes. Yes, he had tried to kill me, but that had been a mistake and we'd put it behind us.

I didn't think I liked Loki the way Fandral was suggesting though. He was a kind man, but I couldn't see him wanting to be with someone like me. And would I want to be with him?

Realising I'd gone quiet, I shook my head, smiling up at Fandral to try and ease the weird tension. "My lord, I'm the maid. Of course I don't."

Fandral seemed happy with my answer, a smile on his face as he beamed down at me. He hooked his arm through mine and gently tugged me away from the stall and further into the market place. He bent down to speak, over the volume of chattering and shouts from the townspeople. Young children ran past our legs, mothers screaming after them to stay safe, owners shouting advertisements of their products.

"Were you betrothed on Midgard?" Fandral's eyes bored into mine, waiting for an answer.

I shook my head, "no, I wasn't betrothed, my lord."

"Were you courting anybody? Here, a couple must court before they marry."

Why was this guy so interested? I shook my head again, "I wasn't in a relationship when I left, my lord."

Fandral nodded, pulling me closer to him. He'd managed to wrap my arm around his own, and I clung on as he darted around a particularly loud group of young boys. I couldn't help the look that must have flashed across my face as I attempted to shrug my arm out of his tight grip.

"Believe it or not, Dahlia, I haven't courted many women. I love them, of course I do! But none of them are marriage material, you see?" He kept turning his head back to make sure I was listening, as he waved his free hand in explanation.

I frowned, then nodded, "you don't want to lead them on."

Fandral grinned, waving his arm in the air. "You understand! I thought you would. But now I believe I have met someone, who I would be prepared to spend my eternity with. Do you still follow me?"

I nodded again, "I hope they make you happy, my lord."

He spun me around, planting both his hands on my shoulders, holding me in place. "I hope they do too. I just need to seek permission to ask them."

"Why can't you just ask them? Whose permission do you need?" Fandrals face fell into a frown. Oh lord, me and my big mouth. I need to start learning my place, as Matron would so wisely put it.

"She's... of a different class. The Allfather needs to accept my proposal of courtship first." Asgard and it's rules, I shall never understand them. So I opted for a nod again. Fandral smiled wide, then squeezed my shoulder.

"I'll be seeing you again, soon, young Dahlia." His hands left my shoulders, one making it's way down to lift my fingers to his lips. I bit back a frown, attempting to keep my polite smile on my face.

"My lord."

As Fandral left I felt a slight weight lift off my shoulders, although I was still a little uncomfortable with the conversation. We'd only met twice - was it commonplace on Asgard to discuss relationships and conflicts of the heart so freely with strangers?

Deciding to shrug off the odd feeling, I let myself enjoy my day off, as I wasn't sure when I would get a second one. I made my way back to the jewellery stand, with the intent on buying the bracelet I'd fallen so quickly in love with.