/50/ Close As Strangers

Previously

Michael

"Wait. Her heart rate is speeding up just slightly." I looked at Izzy, wide-eyed. I continued mouthing words of encouragement and hopefully safety. "Her rate is forty-nine beats per minute. Just below average." The doctor took a deep breath and looked down at me. "Can i speak to you for a second, son?" I nodded and carefully unlocked my hand from Izzy's. The doctor lead me outside into the hallway. "It seems that when you started speaking to her, her heart rate spead up a little."

"I noticed, sir."

"I'm not sure why that's occurring but keep up whatever you were doing."

"Okay." The doctor left me standing in the hospital hallway with my wandering thoughts.

>>

Third Person

Izzy was now in bed with a one of those oxygen tanks that connect to your nose. None of them were aware of what it's actually called so they continuously refer to it as 'the oxygen nose thingy'.

It was around lunchtime. Izzy's been doing fine since whatever happened this morning, but Michael and Ashton have been by her side, still feeling slightly... frazzled. Izzy knew she was growing weaker but she was sure that this was just part of getting better. First, it gets worse, and then it gets better... right? Her amnesia wasn't getting any better either.

"How did this happen?" Izzy asked out of nowhere.

Luckily for Michael and Ashton, Luke and Calum walked in to save the day. "Heyyyy." Calum broke the awkward tension that Izzy was unaware of. Michael and Ashton weren't shocked by the surprise that Calum and Luke that was plastered on their face when they saw Izzy.

"Hi Cally." Izzy lifted one of her weak hands to wave at Cal. It was the first time that he had actually smiled when she called him by that name.

"Wait. What did you just call Calum?"

"Cally." Everyone in the room glanced at each other with their jaws dropped. She had remembered something but Izzy didn't realize. "Is that bad? I'm sorry. I just said it as a joke."

"No! Izzy! This is good! You call Calum that all the time!"

"I do?"

"Yeah! I always hate it but this is great!"

"You're getting your memory back!" Izzy felt herself getting excited but she couldn't show it much. She managed to put a sloppy smile on her face.

"Hi Luke." Her voice was growing hoarse from all the talking she was doing.

"Hi. How are you feeling?" Luke wasn't sure how to act around her. She was clueless to the fact that they had been going out on dates almost every night. You could say Michael and Ashton were happy that she didn't remember their crushes on her. It was practically a new start, but they knew she would remember eventually.

"I feel pretty good." Luke knew she was lying. He may have not wanted anything serious with her, but he was her best friend. He could see the pain behind her eyes.

"Hi! I'm Costanza. I'll be your nurse this afternoon." A young woman walked in. "I have a couple of questions about how you're feeling and a few to test your amnesia."

"Okay."

"Where's your legal guardian?" Izzy was silent for few moments.

"He's... No... He can't be." Each of the boys realized what Izzy was realizing. Michael quickly rushed over to her and squeezed her hand to let her know that he was there for comfort. "He's dead?"

"I'm sorry. But look at the positives! You remembered something. Maybe not the best event but you remembered something!" Izzy gave a small shrug and the nurse continued. "Do you remember what happened?"

"No... I keep asking, but then something stops them from answering."

"I hate to do this to you, but we can't tell you what happened. We have orders to wait until you remember it." Izzy was internally frustrated but she didn't have the strength to act on it. "I just want to ask you a question about the pain you're feeling."

"Okay."

"On a scale of one to ten, ten being the worst, how much pain are you feeling?"

"Nine." Costanza smiled at Izzy, surprised that she hadn't chosen ten. Izzy was experiencing a ten but she was waiting for something so painful that she could use the ten for.

"Thanks. During the night, the doctor will put more numbing substance into your IV." Costanza gave a sympathetic smile to the boys and headed out of the room.

"Do you want to play another game?" Ashton asked, stopping the silence in the room. Izzy agreed to play so Ashton retrieved a couple more board games from the playroom. "How about Life?" Izzy couldn't do much but she was able to nod. She had been doing a lot of that...nodding.

"Michael?" He looked up at her. His eyes were filled with love but she had no clue. "Can you play for me?"

"Sure. Pink or Blue car?"

"Blue, please."

"Awww Man. I was gonna choose that one!" Ash faked his anger causing Izzy to giggle which put her chest in pain.

After Izzy, Ashton, and Luke got married, had kids, moved homes a few times, and reached the retirement home, they put the game away and watched another movie.

"John Tucker Must Die or Mean Girls?"

"Mean Girls!" Luke yelled before Izzy could reply. Ashton let out his infamous giggle and asked Izzy if that was okay and she nodded with a the biggest grin she could manage.

Watching the movie consisted of lots of laughing and giggling. Izzy fell asleep while the Jingle Bell Rock dance came on. Ashton turned the movie off no matter how much Luke protested.

"I can't believe this is happening, guys." Ashton said with his head in his hand.

"It's all my fault. I should've walked with her to the bathroom and waited." Michael shook his head, staring at the ground.

"I had all these girls giving me lap dances when she was sitting next to me. That must've hurt her so much. Shit." Luke shook his head in regret.

"I'm perfect." Calum announced causing the sadness to lighten up a bit.

"She'll be okay." Luke tried to assure them, but it seemed like he was trying to assure himself.

"The doctor told us that she'll get worse before she gets better." Ashton recalled. "We have to believe it."

"But what if-"

"No. Don't even go there. I don't want to talk about that. It won't happen anyway." Michael refused to discuss the possibility that she could die. He was positive that it wouldn't happen.

"Michael, you should really clean yourself up. You too, Ash. You guys have been here since she was admitted. You deserve a break. We can take care of her." Calum suggested, but he meant it as more of a demand.

"I don't want to leave her."

"What if something happens?"

"We'll call you if something comes up, okay? I'm sure she'll be fine." Cal assured.

"We'll leave in an hour or so."

"Take a nap, get some rest. You look exhausted."

"I don't know. I'll just go to the hotel, shower and come back." It was obvious that Michael was worried about leaving. He had a terrible feeling that something would happen.

WHAT DO YOU THINK IS GONNA HAPPEN?!?! LEAVE A COMMENT AND LET ME KNOW. OMG.

aNyWaY, I don't remember if i already said this but check out my other fanfic! You can find it under my profile.

"In which four boys and one girl get lost in the city that never sleeps."

IT's called The Big Apple

I LOVE YOU GUYS