Chapter 10

Matt holds me for what feels like hours as I cry into his arms. I no longer hide my emotions from him, like I used too.

"Here, let's get you into some clothes, you're shivering." I didn't realize how cold I was until he mentions it. He stands me up and walks me into the bedroom. I grab some clothes out of the drawer and turn slowly to him.

"Sorry, do you mind you know...turning around? I'm just not comfortable yet."

"Don't ever apologize, I just wanted to make sure you were okay. I'll go make some coffee and breakfast." He walks out of the room. I think to myself 'How did I get someone so respectful and kind?" I quickly slip my clothes on, trying to warm up. The smell of fresh coffee fills my nostrils, and my anxiety slowly begins to soothe. Grabbing my things, I walk down the steps and enter the kitchen. Matt smiles at me softly and slides me a cup.

"What else can I do to help you babe?"

    "I think I need to see my mom." I say with a small sniffle.

    "We can ask Officer Hale if you can see her, do you want me to come with you?"

    "Yes please, she's be happy to see you anyway."

    He dips his head in approval. I kiss him on the lips softly I pull my phone out of my purse sitting down at the kitchen island. Matt hands me a plate of sausage and eggs. I look to them and mentally groan. Eating was the last thing on my mind.

"I know it's hard, but you have to eat. I don't want you getting sick on me." Matt chirps. I slowly begin eating as I text Officer Hale asking him if he could take us to see my mother. Answering swiftly, he agrees to take me. The smell of coffee hits my nose again. I begin thinking about the coffee shop knowing I should call my work soon and get some hours back. I still need money to support myself, and it might distract me from everything going on. 

I look up from my phone. "Do you think they'd let me go back to work?" Matt turns slowly from the sizzling pan.

    "I mean, I don't see why not, if they have you monitored anyway...but Nai, do you think that's a good idea?"

    "What do you mean?"

    "With everything going on I mean." He leans against the counter. "Do you think it's a good time to go back to work?" I purse my lips as my mind races for an answer. Matt walks over, sets his plate down, and slowly wraps his arms around me from behind.

    "Listen, if that's what you want then I will come order coffee from you anytime."

"I just think..." I pause to turn to him. "I think if I work, it'll help keep my mind off of everything, plus I could use money. I can't just keep expecting you to take care of me." He shakes his head softly.

"You know that's not a problem Nai. It never has been, and never will be."

"It's unfair Matt. I'm staying here, and I pay for nothing. I don't even have money for gas that you spend on me."

"Baby, stop. It's okay, everyone needs help sometimes and I will always be here to help you. I love you so much and I would never let anything happen to you. Don't worry about the money. If you want to go back to work, then you do it for yourself NOT for the money." He leans down and kisses my forehead.

I take a bite of my sausage just as Matt sits down next to me to eat.

    "Officer Hale said he would take us to my mom today." I say in between bites.

    "Good!" He beams. I'll hurry and then get dressed." His positivity radiates. I know deep down he is scared, but is being brave for me. I'm so deeply in love with this boy. I quickly stand up and take his fork from his hand. He looks at me with a pout face. I unexpectedly crash my lips onto his, tangling my fingers in his hair. He softly moans into my mouth, as I push my body into his. I stand between his legs, causing me to have to lean down into the kiss. He cups my face softly as we stand in place. Eventually we release each other leaving us both gasping for air. I look deep into his sparkling brown eyes.