Chapter 8

"Matt we are going to be so late if you don't hurry now! We need to go!" I say banging loudly on the bathroom door. I walk to Matt's room grabbing my cap and gown from the bed. I put on my shoes and look at myself in the mirror one more time. Matt comes out of the bathroom and wraps his arms around my waist.

"Did anyone tell you how adorable you are when you're flustered?" He asks me and I scoff at him.

"Has anyone told you just how adorable I am when I get angry?" I look at him and all he does is chuckle and kiss my forehead.

"Matt we are going to be late!"

"Okay Nai, I'm ready let's walk out the door."

"Finally! Thank you!" I say and we walk down to the living room. I go to grab the door handle but my body doesn't move.

"Nai, if you want to actually leave you'll have to open the door." My hand still doesn't move. I swiftly turn around.

"What if I can't do this? My mom isn't going to be there and neither is Lily. What if I can't or what if I mess up my speech. Oh my god i'm going to humiliate myself in front-" I'm cut off by Matt pressing his lips to mine, I melt into his body.

"Better?" He says smiling. "You're going to be amazing and yes your circumstances are weird and your mom and sister won't be there but you are going to do it for them. That's what I'm doing for my parents. We are doing this for them. This is our moment to shine, to show off all of our hard work and I'm going to be right there in the audience for you." I smile at him and he kisses my forehead and grabs my hand. I turn round to face the door and pull it open. It's finally time, time to graduate high school. Time to move on with my adult life.

|~|

"Now class of two thousand and eighteen please give your best applause for our valedictorian Naiomie Lee." Mr. Walker says to the audience. My palms begin to sweat as I walk onto the stage to the podium. Note cards in hand I look into the audience. Seats filled with eager parents and family members waiting for the moment to see their child begin a new life. I wait for them to be silent. I stare at my prepared speech on the notecards in front of me. I look into the audience to see Matt looking worried that I'm not speaking. My mind is clouded and then it hit me. I set down the notecards.

"I had a special speech written on these silly notecards but I think we deserve more than that, Today we are here to celebrate the beginning of a new life. A life that we have all prepared for the last twelve years. All the bright minds sitting upon us will carve a path to our future world. I believe our class will go far in life. For twelve years we have discovered not only ourselves but which path we will take for our new found lives. There have been hardships, challenges, and much more. I cannot put into words how proud I am of my fellow classmates, and also how proud I am of myself. Today is truly just the beginning of our lives. Thank you to all of the parents who have helped us get to where we are today.." I pause, trying to hold back tears as I think of my parents. I think of my mother and how hard she works. I even think about my father, and how much pain he has put me through. I take a deep breath and continue. "And thank you to the staff here at Norberry. Without you all, we wouldn't have been able to succeed. To my fellow classmates, I thank you as well, for teaching me to grow, and to flourish. We finally did it." I smile and step back from the microphone. Claps erupted from the crowd as seat after seat stand whistling and yelling. I look to see Matt giving me beaming. He looks so proud, my heart fills with warmth. I give thank you's to the crowd and walk down the stairs of the stage. As I begin to head to my seat I see a set of two familiar faces sitting in the back of the room. I stop in my tracks to see my mother and sister sitting next to Officer Hale. My mouth drops as I run to the back of the room grabbing both of them and engulfing them into a hug. Lily sits in a wheelchair connected to oxygen and my mother beside her. The crowd turns around and begins clapping.