Chapter 6

I leave the main office with tears still brimming my eyes. I move past the front of the school, the large windows are frosted around the edges as the snow falls slowly. Walking over to the window I slowly place my hand on the glass, the cold sends shivers through my body. Breathing deeply I close my eyes, letting my fingers run along the smooth glass.

"It must bring you comfort. The cold I mean" Mr. Walker startles me.

"Yeah I guess." I look away from him and back to the winter wonderland outside.

"I was just getting some copies from the office, when I saw you standing here. I know you don't want to talk to me, but I just wanted to sincerely apologize. It was extremely unprofessional what happened earlier." Keeping my gaze locked on the outside I spoke softly.

"Talking off the school record here Mr. Walker," I turn around. "You can't let him act like that. Listen, I don't know his parent situation or anything, but if you're all he's got then you need to work a lot harder. What kind of person mocks someone's dying family member."

"Naiom-"

"Someone who is mentally ill, that's who. I know a lot about that topic Mr. Walker, and it's not just from your class." The bell rings as students enter the halls.

"It was nice talking to you Mr. Walker, see you in class." I walk past him towards my locker. Shoving in my books I lean my head against the metal door finally beginning to relax my tense muscles when I hear footsteps approach me.

"Listen this has probably been the worst day of my life so if you are coming to question me about anything give me a few seconds to maybe relax." I plead. The person clears their throat and groan opening my eyes. I see a tall blonde officer with crystal blue eyes staring at me. I perk up immediately.

"Sorry officer I have been having a very hard day."

"Don't worry about it. You're Naiomie Sky Lee right?" He asks reading off a small notebook. I nod my head slowly.

"I'm officer Hale and I've been assigned to your case about your father. I was told you were aware of the situation?"

"Yeah I found out today, the principle mentioned that I would have someone with me."

"Yes and I am here for your protection and anything you need. Do you have a place to stay?"

"Yeah i'm staying with my best friend Matt Pearson."

"Very well, just know that I will be following you and keep track of you for your protection, but i'll make sure to stay out of your way."

"I understand, but what about my graduation? How will my mother attend and how am I going to see my sister on that day like I promised?"

"I know this is an extremely difficult situation mentally and physically. You have every right to be worried about those things, but our number one concern is your safety as well as your families. We will figure something out about your graduation but you have to stay away from your sister for now. Can you do that for me?" I nod my head knowing he's right.

"I know i'm just frustrated." I see Matt walking out of the classroom looking confused. He approaches us slowly.

"Hey Nai who's this?" He asks setting his bag down.

"This is officer Hale, he will be the officer on my case." He turns to Officer Hale and shakes his hand.

"Thank you sir, Naiomie here is my best friend. She means the world to me." Matt says and I blush. He's always been protective over me.

"I'm guessing you're Matthew?" Officer Hale questions while looking through his notebook.

"Ah yes sir, please call me Matt."