Chapter 2

Me and Matt walk to our lockers with some time to kill before class.

"So are you excited for graduation?" Matt asks leaning against his locker, as I open mine and scramble through my books.

"By excited do you mean ecstatic to get out of here?" I motion to the hallway around me. He chuckles and stands up in front of me.

"But dear Naiomie why would you ever want to leave high school? It's full of friendship and grades that apparently determine every individual's future, oh and let's not forget prom, who wouldn't love prom?" the sarcasm from Matt's voice is almost too present. I shake my head at him and close my locker.

"Again, you're an idiot. Have I not told you that?"

"Hey only four more days Nai then we will be free and released into our adult lives!" Anxiety rushes through me as I look to the floor.

"Hey what's wrong? I would think you would be more excited." he asks me concerned.

"It's not that i'm not excited, i'm just nervous. Being an adult is a lot of responsibility. And without school what am I going to occupy my mind with. Where am I even going to escape too? I mean I guess I could take more shifts at the shop..." I trail off getting carried away with my own thoughts. Matt brings me back into reality.

"Naiomie you will be fine, I won't let anything happen to you. You can always escape to my house, and I can always come into your room window, just like normal.."

"Thanks Matt, that means a lot to me." he throws me a smile.

"Listen I have to head to gym i'll see you in geometry alright? Don't get into too much trouble while i'm gone." he wiggles his finger in front of my face and I sigh.

"Again Matt, you're an idiot." I say turning around walking down the hall to my psychology class. I walk down the rows of desks until I find my usual seat. The warning bell rings as I'm unpacking my books from my bag. One by one the empty seats begin to fill. My psychology teacher Mr. Walker strolls into the room.

"Good Morning class. I know everyone is excited for graduation and most teachers don't have anything planned for this last week of school, but I sure do!" the whole class groans and I scoot lower and lower into my chair wishing I did not just hear that.

"Oh hush I did have the decency to make the assignment at least a little fun. You and three other students will be partnered up and expected to make a model of the human brain. I expect you all to make plans for after school today and tomorrow. The project is due on Friday and your groups are written up on the board. I will give you all some class time to get your plans made up." As i'm focusing on Mr. Walker talking a paper ball flies over my head. I turn around to see my classmate Hunter laughing at his boyfriend David.

"Mr. Martinez and Mr. Faye, is my class a playground for your amusement?" They both stop laughing.

"No sir, sorry." Hunter replies.

"I'll be lenient since its the last week, and you've been good students." He pauses and claps his hands. "Now get with your groups." I have only spoken to Hunter and David one time my whole life. We went to the same elementary school and middle school together. I even work with David, but we normally just stay quiet. .

"Ms. Lee did you hear what I said"

I perk up immediately and look to Mr. Walker

"Uh no sorry I was-"

"Daydreaming," He pauses. "I said go to your groups, you have twenty minutes."

"Sorry Mr. Walker" I say quickly standing up.