Chapter One

"There aren't many questions that I don't know the answer to. Like, why do we eat? Why do we sleep?

We as a nation are so quick to turn on the television and get the daily scoop. Are we really sure about what is going on around our everyday lives?

And, what is the plan? Do you already know how we're going to end up and everything after? We are all just reincarnated and finding out we are just buried souls."

"Will she be okay?" Kate says to the police officer beside her, crossing her arms over her chest and looking around the room tentatively. The woman continues on, ignoring her interruption.

"It's so fucking funny because some of us want to know all of that and that just instantly makes us out to be the killer." The women turns her head sideways as she says these words.

She continues on,"you want to see a trick?"

Kate backs up away from the woman, clearing her throat.

"Sure why not?" She says, her voice smaller than what she wanted it to be. The women bites down on her tongue suddenly and blood gushes from her open mouth, as it streams down the sides of her face.

Kate starts to scream, backing up into the wall behind her and worriedly looking at the police officer beside her. He has a disgusted look on his face as he watches the woman.

"Get me out of here!" Kate shrieks, rushing to the door. All the woman does is laugh.

"What's wrong?" The woman says, blood and spittle flying from her gnarled mouth.

Ignoring the woman, Kate grabs the officer beside her and rushes out of the room, letting the metal door slam behind her. Moments later, she is curled up in a ball while vomiting on the floor.

The police officer lightly puts a hand on her back and pats it awkwardly. A worker rushes by them, pushing into the room they had just left. Guttural screaming can be heard through the door. Several more people pass by with needles and other objects, causing Kate to moan in horror.

She slides down the wall and onto the floor, careful to avoid the bile next to her. The officer takes this as his sign to leave, pushing off the wall and heading off to wait by the front door.

It takes Kate a couple minutes to breath properly again, and when she can, she sits there, with shaking hands and wide eyes.

She shakes her head and unsteadily pushes herself off the floor and heads to the front door, trying to ignore the burning feeling in her throat. She taps the officers arm lightly when she reaches him, smiling apologetically.

"I'm ready to leave now." She says in a small voice.

As the officer looks at her, she realizes that she doesn't even know his name. But considering the circumstances, she guesses it is alright to not know for now.

"Fine off you go." The officer replies in a calm and ill mannered voice.

He acts like she saw a ghost that was never there to begin with.

Kate knew of what she was dealing with back in the room though, she knew the woman was real.

She gives the officer a weird look and quietly leaves.

"I'm not crazy. I know what just happened in Shady Homes Asylum and I'm going to figure out why." She whispers to herself as she leaves, the image of blood running down the woman's face embedded into her mind.

As Kate leaves, workers rush into the woman's room with medication to calm her down, again. The woman laughs at her own routine, laughing at the memory of the girls face as she screamed.

Workers surround her like zombies attacking a human for flesh, causing her to laugh even harder, causing a couple workers to replace their calm faces with disgusted ones. Once the medicine enters her system, a small smile etched on her now placid face, the workers clean her off, one by one.

The woman barely registers as her usual doctor, Doctor Jacobs, enters the room with her paperwork resting on his clipboards.

"Oh Valerie, what have you done to yourself this time?" He mutters as he checks her out from head to toe. He shakes his head at the sight of her tongue, marking it down on his clipboard. The whole time though, Valerie stares straight forward, finally ignoring everyone in the room.

Soon though, everyone clears out, leaving her with her thoughts. Valerie looks out the small barred window next to her bed, thinking about the reporter who came, remembering how the girl's scream sounded like her own, a long time ago.

She shakes her head quickly, forcing the thoughts away. Never will she go back to her past, never will she relive those memories. She closes her eyes and lets the drugs over-take her mind. Her last thought before she falls to sleep was on Kate.

~~~~~~~~~~

Kate sits at home, her face inches from her laptop. Heavy bags weigh down on her eyelids, when she tries to go to sleep. But she must find out what was wrong with the patient at Shady Homes Asylum, she must find out what was wrong with that woman.

She sighs in frustration. Checking her spelling again, she re-enters the name into Google, only for it to come up to 'Sherlock Holmes Amusement Park'. She slams the bright screen down and places the laptop onto her coffee table.

Kate rubs her face and stands up, grabbing her keys to go and see a couple of her girlfriends to tell them about her stressful day. She steps outside and locks her door, jiggling the knob a couple times out of habit.

Suddenly, a strong hand is placed over her mouth, and her scream is muffled by cloth and skin. She could feel her body go limp and in seconds she falls unconscious. The man throws her limp body over his shoulder, carrying her over to a beaten up car.

He looks around before throwing her small body into the trunk of his vehicle.

The squeal of tires is the only sound that's made as he pulls away from her house, speeding throughout the neighborhood.

Minutes tick by as he speeds along the highway, nervously drumming on his steering wheel, looking back every once in a while. But soon, he pulls into a dark parking lot, popping his trunk open and shutting the vehicle off.

The lurch of the car stopping awakens Kate from her sleep. But with the drug she inhaled still in her body, her thoughts were fuzzy and disconnected.

Without noticing the state of his captive, the man hoists her small body into his arms, cradling her like a child. He closes the trunk with a slam and begins to carry her into the unknown building. But right before they enter the door, Kate spots the looming sign above them. Her eyes widen as much as they can in her drugged state, her heart picks up a notch. She tries to scream, but her body only responds with a moan-like gasp.

Her captor finally notices that she is conscious, smirking down at her with his yellow teeth. Kate takes in his appearance, cringing away as much as she could.

His dull eyes match his slowly decaying mouth and his large bulbous nose was like the cherry on top. Kate was sure that he had been in some of her worst nightmares.

He continues to carry her as she starts to regain control over her body once again. But soon he stops by a metal door, just like the one from her job earlier on.

Kate starts to squirm as he carries her over to a metal bed. But all he does is chuckle lowly and push her down onto the bed, hand-cuffing her wrist to one of the posts. He stands back and place his hands on his hips, smiling.

"Welcome to Shady Homes Asylum, Kate."