The Third Prince stood up with Xiao Hua in his arms and with familiar ease, lifted her up despite she had gained more weight recently. "Mother Empress, we will take our leave. Please allow Doctor Li to check your pulse to put this son's worry at ease."

The Empress said frostily. "You claim to worry about your mother yet you've already spoken of leaving. I doubt your sincerity when you only rush here to check on your maid instead of your own blood mother."

"Bring a chair for this prince."

"Yes, Your Highness." Duan XiYing quickly brought a stool over for the Third Prince to sit down, with Xiao Hua on his lap, cradled protectively in his arms.

Xiao Hua truly wanted to escape from his grip but the Third Prince refused and his arms acted as her cage. She was very aware of the Empress' deathly glare towards her.

"Mother Empress, please allow Doctor Li to diagnose you," the Third Prince said, half pleadingly.

Her anger blinded her from seeing her son's worry for her. "This Empress already knows why and your maid was the one that caused it." Originally, the Empress was embarrassed for fainting, but once she thought she could pin this crime on that stinky maid, she no longer found it to be as humiliating as before.

"I know that you like your maid, but she had offended your mother until I fainted, are you going to shelter her from punishment? If this news is to be spread to the public, your hard effort in maintaining your reputation of a filial son and benevolent prince will be destroyed."

"Mother Empress, Long Zhu is a filial son. Whatever your request of me, I always fulfilled it, but this time, I had to refuse your request. Mother Empress, this son is truly fond of Xiao Hua and wish to treasure her."

"My requests are not demanding as I only want the best for you. I overlooked your little habits and secret activities as long as it does not harm you or embarrass the royal family. But now...do you know what you had done?" The Empress questioned and stands up angrily with the help of Xin Lin.

"Do you know I had to calm down your father when he wishes to have your little maid to be killed off? Everyone knew how well you treated her and the voice of you being unsuited for the throne is getting louder. The Emperor does not wish to see another son of his marry a maid and embarrass him again. He gave excuses to his ministers that you are just being kind and soon you will return to your normal self, but we all know you won't!"

The Empress slammed her palm on the bed and it cracked, slowly spreading until the bed collapsed. The beautiful lady with prideful air, with her back facing a scene of destruction... it was strangely captivating despite the heavy atmosphere filling the room.

"Mother, this is the only thing I will not let anyone control."

"Don't follow your fourth brother's bad influence! I never ask you to kill or throw her to the streets. I only want you to choose a better personal maid and have that girl occupy a lower rank."

"Mother, I do not wish to have a personal maid, to begin with. But that is the only position where I can keep Xiao Hua close to me so I can keep her safe."

"Long Zhu, stop being unreasonable! You do not want to enrage your Father Emperor."

The Third Prince sighed. "I can handle Father Emperor, mother. XiYing, escort Doctor Li to rest outside for a moment. Da Bei, let that servant up to be fixed by the doctor."

Da Bei obediently stepped away from Xin Dan's back and let Duan XiYing pick up the unconscious servant out of the room.

Long Zhu waited until they left before he continued. "I truly admire fourth brother for being strong and brave enough to marry the one he loves. Mother Empress, if you continue to involve yourself with my marriage, regardless of whatever excuse it is, I won't hesitate to give up on the right to the throne."

"Long Zhu, you know you must not give up the right to the throne. You are the last choice if Long Qian is killed and Long Shan decided to rebel!"

"If you understand that Mother, then don't push on this issue again."

The pain reflected in the Empress' eyes make Xiao Hua feels bad for her. "Do what you want. But know that I won't agree to this."

The Third Prince stood up but allowed Xiao Hua to stand by her own feet. "Then this son will be leaving. As for today's matter, Xiao Hua is merely defending herself against Mother Empress' schemes, so there should be no need for punishment."

The Empress was too tired to make a fuss. "Xin Lin, bring me to my room to rest. This Empress is tired after being angered by a monkey and its trainer."

The monkey: '...' Fine, this young lady will look past the monkey comment if I can escape from punishment!

With a hand on Xin Lin's arm, the Empress stepped out of the vandalized room and straight towards her bedchamber.

The Third Prince seeks out the doctor after they stepped out of the room. "Doctor Li, please check on Mother Empress' health. This prince had never seen her faint before."

"This one will go and diagnose the Empress now," Doctor Li said with a low bow.

"XiYing, accompany Doctor Li to check on Mother Empress."

"Yes, Your Highness."

After they left, the Third Prince gently gripped Xiao Hua's hand. "Are you alright?"

Xiao Hua nodded. "I'm alright. I apologize for causing trouble for you."

The Third Prince smiled and gently pulling her out of the Empress' courtyard. "XiYing told me most of what happened on our way. You only told Mother Empress the truth."

"You are not angry?" Xiao Hua asked doubtfully.

"No, why should I?"

Xiao Hua: '...' I just bullied your mother yet you are not angry and even smiling at me?!

Seems like the Third Prince was the type where the husband will love the wife more than the mother...

The Third Prince suddenly stopped walking and Xiao Hua, whose hand was still in the Third Prince's grip, was forced to stop as well. Xiao Hua sucked in a deep breath when she saw two familiar people that they happened to cross paths with.

Long Shan and Liu Chu Chu!

Want to read the next chapters earlier? Visit my patreon page! https://www.patreon.com/chocolily