Chapter 13: Hippogriffs

Tina's P.O.V

Newt's mom is a whirlwind and Newt was right a lot to take in but she seemed really nice and genuinely interested in all of us. She keeps conversation flowing for most of lunch by asking borderline very personal questions earning very strong glances from Newt. As I am listening to Jacob tell the story of how he started his bakery I hear a fainting tapping sound at the large bay window at the end of the rustic yet oddly elegant dinning room. I push my chair back and walk over to the window. I see a very familiar owl pecking at the window. I open the window and let the light brown tawny owl in. Newt just then noticing my lack of presence and asks, "Who's it from." My stomach does a flip when I see the precise writing on the front and struggle to say back, "Tolliver." Just like that I see Newt's whole face change, like it is a statue holding a fake smile. I sit back down after letting the owl go again and open up the thick white envelope. I can sense that everyone is curious but trying hard not to stare at me as I open the letter and start reading,

Dear Tina,

I am not pleased to inform you that I went to Newt Scamander's house to surprise you with a visit. Due to my general amount of curiosity I did trespass into the house but in my defense it was unlocked, anyway after stumbling into your room I found a letter you had obliviously intended to send to Mr. Scamander and I understand how you feel about him. I wish you would have not lied to me or strung me along but I understand your heart belongs to someone else. So this is an official break up letter I hoped to do it in person but I do not know were you are right now. Please do not contact me again unless it is for official auror business.

Sincerely,

Mr.Tolliver

At first I don't know what to feel, I was not expecting this letter at all. After a few moments the words start to sink in and I feel a wave of relief wash across my mind, no more will I have to string Tolliver along now I can take the proper time to court Newt. Wait did I just think that? No way could Newt ever want to be courted by me. I also feel a tug of anger pull at the back of my head, did Tolliver really break into Newt's house and look at my personal stuff! My flash of anger must have shown on my face because Newt asks, "Tina what's wrong you look upset?" I can barely stop myself from shouting or shaking but I reply evenly as I can, "Tolliver broke into your house to apparently surprise me but found some stuff......" just thinking about the letter I wrote makes my ears turn pink and I realize I didn't finish my sentence. I start again, "He found some stuff of mine and just broke up with me through letter." Newt is starting to look concerned and asks, "are you OK Tina, I know he broke into my house and that's not good but are you fine with him breaking up with you?" The concern he is showing warms my heart and I say with a sigh, "Yes Newt I am actually more then fine. I was going to break up with him soon anyway but I'm glad he did it first." Just then I hear a soft, "I know." from Nagini. Both her and Jacob's eyes look like they are ready to pop out and both are having a quiet but intense conversation with glances at both me and Newt. Both also look highly agitated along with Newt's mom. Then all three at the same time excuse themselves and Jacob mumbles something about making niffler bread. Once all are out of the room Newt asks again much more of a whisper this time, "Tina are you sure your all right?" Trying to sound reassuring I say, "Yes I'm sure, I was stringing him along and I think he new it." Newt looking much happier to my surprise then asks, "Well you were so excited to see the hippogriffs before to you want to come with me and visit them?" I can barely contain my glee, I have always heard about hippogriffs and have wanted to see them. I sure I give a very distinguishable and very breathy yes. Newt seem to feed on my excitement and almost trips getting out of his chair. Newt half runs half walks up to the front door and seems to be smiling ear to ear. I feel a small smile creep on my face and I take a better look at my surroundings, to house seemed to be at odds with itself, as it was elegantly rustic but it was beautiful all the same. All the floors seemed to be wood and there is a lot of natural light but before I can really get a handle on the layout Newt leads us out a side door and on to a lush green lawn and then falls to a full out sprint. My smile growing wider I pick up my pace and yell, "Last one to the barn is a boggie flavored bean!" I think Newt slows down, ever the gentleman, that but I was a track runner for Illvermorny and I pass him with ease.

Newt tries to look devastated at his loss of the race but he is breathing too hard and laughing too much to look sad. As he gets a handle on himself he opens the large wooden sliding door that goes into the barn. The smell of horse and bird wafts into my nose and Newt and I step into a cheery nicely lit barn. Newt rushes down to the last stall to the left and explains, "I love all the hippogiffs but I have a fondness for this one, we grew up together. His name is Kevin."

"Newt really, Kevin?" Only Newt would give a magnificent creature such as hippogriff Kevin for a name. Newt just says in a sarcastic tone, "Of course I take naming creatures very seriously." I just huff a laugh. "Do you want to see him," Newt asks. "Boy would I ever!"

Newt opens the stall door and I get a glimpse of Kevin and he almost floors me. He has a magnificent raven black coat that is in stark contrast with his white as snow bird head and wings. I must have made some sort of amazed sound because, Newt whispers, "I know I feel the same every time I see him. I need you to listen carefully because hippogriffs are very proud creatures and will attack if they feel provoked." I trust Newt enough now to listen to his instructions but not be scared one bit so I nod. He stands right behind me a breathes in my ear, "Tina you need to keep eye contact and take a very low bow, if he bows back it is OK to approach him but NEVER insult him." Following his instruction while keeping eye contact with Kevin's ice blue eyes, I bow low. Watching him cautiously, Kevin lowers his head slightly and extends a front leg. Newt peers over my shoulder and breathes, "It's good to approach now Tina." I slowly walk up to Kevin and say to him, "Hi Kevin my name is Tina may I pet you?" Kevin declines his head fraction I take that as a yes and extend my arm. His feathers and hair is very soft and I can't help but feel amazed by Newt and his creatures one again as he looks into my eyes and starts to nuzzle me with his beak. Newt looks quite amazed as well and says, "Kevin seems to like you very much, he has never taken to a stranger this well before but who can't like you Tina?" I can't help but feel a sense of pride as he says this and I blush a little at the last comment. Then Newt before asking scoops me up and puts me astride Kevin in one sweeping motion. " Mercy Lewis, Newt what are you doing, are you crazy I have never ridden a hippogriff before!" Newt just grins mischievously hops on and starts to say, "Hold on" before he kicks Kevin onward and soon I find myself clutching Newt tightly as Kevin gallops out to the open field.

I close my eyes but when I open them I see that we are soaring high above the clouds and Newt lets out a whoops of pure joy and I can relate to the feeling of unending, soul filling freedom of soaring through the clouds at a break neck speed. I never loosen my grip on Newt but I find myself leaning in a taking in his scent. And up in the clouds with the man I love soaring and free I find my heart fill and fill. After of what feels like a not long enough time Newt slows Kevin down and we land smoothly on the grass. All of this excitement reminds me of New York and Frank the thunderbird. Still full of joy and happiness I ask Newt, "Do you ever miss Frank." His hair is sticking up all over again but for once in a long while he looks genuinely happy and responds with, "Not really because after I lost one thunderbird, I found an even better one."

Hey guys this is my longest chapter yet and it took me two days to write!!! I hope you like it and the next chapter is going to be great so hold out a little longer! See you guys next chapter!