XIV

"Hello, Karla."

Camila gulps back a breath of air, "Hi. Who... who are you?" Camila knows who it is. She probably has known in her subconscious since the moment the guard told her she has a visitor. But still, she asks anyway. Too late to take it back now...

"My name is Sofia Cabello," She explains, though judging by the annoyed look in her eyes she knows that Camila knows that already, "I wrote to you a few months ago."

"Oh..."

"You already knew that though, didn't you?" Sofia calls her out on her bullshit, and Camila tucks her head a little lower. Only because I snooped and found your letter by accident.

"Yes," I feel a speech coming along, Camila bites the inside of her cheek, trying to prevent herself from crying. She wants to do something; touch her sister's face, hug her, tell her how much it means to have someone who could explain where she came from... not to mention, her sister is extremely beautiful and Camila can tell by the nice jacket and fancy necklance dangling around her neck that she's done something right with her life. She feels proud, even though they've never met.

"I thought about this for a really long time. I thought about what it would be like to sit across from you and meet you. And not once, not until a few months ago, did I imagine it would be in this place," Sofia pauses a little too soon for Camila's liking. She'd barely had a few moments to collect her thoughts. I mean, her long-lost sister is sitting across from her right now!

"I know..."

"I didn't want to come. And I wasn't going to, but... I wanted to know why. I wanted to give you a chance to explain yourself. Not that I'd believe you, but I wanted to at least try. So... why? Why did you let this happen?" It comes out rushed, but Camila gets the jist of everything she asks.

She fumbles with the edges of her sleeves, looking down in her lap and frowning, "I... I don't know," She wants to explain, but she feels so cornered it's nearly impossible to vocalize anything her brain wants her to.

"So you admit it, then?" No, no, no, Her brain shouts at her to say something! "You attempted robbery, and assaulted a police officer? On your own accord? You're telling me nothing swayed you to take this path? Nothing at all?"

Just tell her, what have you got to lose?

Everything! Literally everything!

Come on, Cabello! If she doesn't believe you, so what?

Camila's inner turmoil goes back and forth for too long, it seems. She can tell her blood sister is getting fed up with her lack of words. She tries to speak, "Sofia, I—"

Sofia scoffs, "You know what, this was a waste of my time," She rises abruptly, gathering her things and pushing her chair back. But, Camila rises alongside her and stops her before she can take another step.

"Sofia, wait!" Sofia freezes in place, surprised by her sudden raise in voice. Camila lowers it significantly, her next word coming out in barely a whisper, "Please..."

Sofia's eyes scan her face for what feels like forever. Her expression faulters when she sees the broken, teary-eyed look on Camila's face and she hesitates. Camila wants to reach out for her. She wants to beg some more. And just as she thinks she might break down and do just that, Sofia sinks back into her seat.

Camila follows suit, and it's as if her words have finally caught up with her brain, "Look. Before I tell you anything, I just want to say I don't expect you to believe anything I tell you. We don't know each other, and I know that. Just know that I would never lie to you, especially because it might mean I'll never get to know the only family I've ever even known existed. Just..." Camila sucks in a breath, trying to keep her heart rate at a normal pace, "Please forgive me, I wasn't expecting this today and I'm still trying to process that you're really here. I was beginning to think you were never coming."