Chapter 2

Blinking again I focused my thoughts on today. I had no reason to get up.I hadn't seen another living thing, person or animal in over 6 and 1/2 months.I'd searched our whole town, opening every door at every house or building, praying I'd find someone.Only each place, each day was the same.No one was here with me.

Still, I struggled up each day, finding food, eating, exercising and keeping myself busy.

My search had been completed about a month into my isolation and I had begun to gather cans of food as well as propane and camping gear.Thankfully my dad had loved camping and hunting and it had rubbed off on me, and I was prepared in more ways than I could've hoped to be had my dad not taught me.

I needed to move on from my town and see if I was the last person on earth as I feared or if something or someone was still out there...

Climbing out of bed I dressed and glanced at my hiking bag by my bed.It was packed, my food, clothes and gun with ammo ready to go.Yes, ammo.I've seen disaster movies and even a few zombie ones.Worries that either of these things could have happened kept me armed at all times.

Clothes, breakfast and a quick run filled the time as the sun rose above the trees.My feet pounded extra loud in the quiet, but it no longer bothered me as it had before.Now the silence was my friend, letting me know that nothing was there and that everything had remained the same.

After a quick wash in the bathroom with bottled water, I redressed to set out.Today I would say good bye to my home, my safe haven of the past few months.

I walked out my room I grabbed my backpack and marched determinately to the front door, opening it softly.

Locking my house and sticking the keys under the mat, I continued out my neighborhood, up the main street and to the hardware store.My "new to me" bike waited just just inside the doors, ready to roll.I grabbed it, pedaled outside and into the street.Checking my map, I turned and looked around one last time.

Houses and stores looked back at me, silent guardians of my past seeming to tell me to go.

It was time.